Barry Smith (academic)
June 4, 1952 |
|Institutions||University of Oxford
University of Manchester
University of Sheffield
International Academy of Philosophy, Liechtenstein
University at Buffalo
|Alma mater||University of Oxford|
|Thesis||The Ontology of Reference: Studies in Logic and Phenomenology (1976)|
|Doctoral advisor||Wolfe Mays|
Basic Formal Ontology
|Notable awards||Wolfgang Paul Award of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation|
Education and career
From 1970 to 1973 Smith studied Mathematics and Philosophy at the University of Oxford, He obtained his PhD from the University of Manchester in 1976 for a dissertation on the ontology of reference in Husserl and Frege.
From 1976 to 1994 he held appointments in Sheffield, Manchester and Liechtenstein, and in 1994 he moved to the University at Buffalo (New York, USA), where he is currently Julian Park Distinguished Professor of Philosophy and Adjunct Professor of Biomedical Informatics, Computer Science, and Neurology. He is also Research Scientist in the New York State Center of Excellence in Bioinformatics and Life Sciences. From 2002 to 2006 Smith served as founding Director of the Institute for Formal Ontology and Medical Information Science (IFOMIS) in Leipzig, Germany. The Institute moved to Saarbrücken in 2004.
In 2002 Smith received in recognition of his scientific achievements the Wolfgang Paul Award of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation. In 2010 he received the first Paolo Bozzi Prize for Ontology from the University of Turin. In 2014 he was elected Fellow of the American College of Medical Informatics (AMCI).
Smith is the author of some 500 scientific publications, including 15 authored or edited books. He is also editor of The Monist: An International Quarterly Journal of General Philosophical Inquiry.
Smith's primary research focus is ontology and its applications, especially in biomedical informatics where he has worked on a variety of projects relating to biomedical terminologies and electronic health records. He is leader of the Basic Formal Ontology (BFO) project, a Coordinating Editor of the OBO Foundry and a member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Gene Ontology Consortium, and the Ontology for Biomedical Investigations (OBI) Working Group. In addition he has contributed to the Infectious Disease Ontology, the Protein Ontology, the Information Artifact Ontology, and a variety of other ontology resources especially in the biomedical field.
More recently he has worked on a variety of ontology-related initiatives in the military field. In 2008-2010 he served as technical lead on a project sponsored by the US Army Net-Centric Data Strategy Center of Excellence (ANCDS CoE) to create the Universal Core Semantic Layer (UCore-SL). Since 2010 he was worked on a series of initiatives sponsored by the US Army Intelligence and Information Warfare Directorate (I2WD) to create a framework for semantic enhancement of intelligence data in the Cloud. Since 2014 he is collaborator on an initiative of the US Air Force Research Laboratory to create a Living Plan management system.
Smith has also collaborated with Hernando de Soto, Director of the Institute for Liberty and Democracy in Lima, Peru, on the ontology of property rights and social development. He also collaborates with the United Nations Environment Programme on the role of ontologies in ingregation of environmental data.
Smith has received over $12 million in funding for his research in ontology, deriving primarily from the National Institutes of Health, the US, Swiss and Austrian National Science Foundations, the Humboldt Foundation, the Volkswagen Foundation, the European Union, and the US Department of Defense.
In 2005 Smith founded the National Center for Ontological Research (NCOR), under the auspices of which he initiated in 2006 the Ontology for the Intelligence Community, now STIDS annual conference series. Smith was also responsible also for initiating the International Conference on Biomedical Ontology.
In 1992 Smith co-authored a letter to The Times concerning Jacques Derrida receiving an honorary degree from Cambridge University, in which he and his co-authors argued that Derrida did not deserve this recognition.
- Structure and Gestalt: Philosophy and Literature in Austria-Hungary and Her Successor States (ed.), 1981.
- Parts and Moments. Studies in Logic and Formal Ontology (ed.), Munich/Vienna: Philosophia, 1982.
- Foundations of Gestalt Theory (ed.), Munich/Vienna: Philosophia, 1988.
- Adolf Reinach, Sämtliche Werke. Kritische Ausgabe mit Kommentar, Band I: Die Werke, Teil I: Kritische Neuausgabe (1905–1914), Teil II: Nachgelassene Texte (1906–1917); Band II: Kommentar und Textkritik (ed. with Karl Schuhmann), Munich/Vienna: Philosophia 1989.
- Handbook of Metaphysics and Ontology, 2 vols. (ed. with Hans Burkhardt), Munich/Vienna: Philosophia, 1991.
- Austrian Philosophy: The Legacy of Franz Brentano, Chicago-LaSalle, Open Court, 1994.
- The Cambridge Companion to Husserl (ed., with David W. Smith), Cambridge/New York: Cambridge University Press, 1995.
- Rationality and Irrationality (ed., with Berit Brogaard), Vienna: öbv&hpt, 2001.
- Formal Ontology in Information Systems (ed., with Christopher Welty), New York: ACM Press, 2001.
- John Searle (ed.), Cambridge/New York: Cambridge University Press, 2003.
- Applied Ontology: An Introduction (ed. with K. Munn), 2008.
- The Mystery of Capital and the Construction of Social Reality (ed. with David Mark and Isaac Ehrlich), Chicago: Open Court, 2008.
- Biomedizinische Ontologie. Wissen strukturieren für den Informatik-Einsatz, (ed., with Ludger Jansen), Zurich: vdf, 2008.
- Building Ontologies with Basic Formal Ontology, with Robert Arp and Andrew Spear, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2015.
-  Grenon, P.; Smith, B. (2009). "Foundations of an ontology of philosophy". Synthese 182 (2): 185. doi:10.1007/s11229-009-9658-x.
- Barry Smith, “Austrian Economics and Austrian Philosophy”, in W. Grassl and B. Smith (eds.), Austrian Economics: Historical and Philosophical Background, London: Routledge, 2010, 1–36.
- Werner Ceusters and Barry Smith, "Strategies for referent tracking in electronic health records", Journal of Biomedical Informatics, 39 (3), 362-378
- Pierre Grenon and Barry Smith, “SNAP and SPAN: Towards Dynamic Spatial Ontology”, Spatial Cognition and Computation, 4 (1), 2004, 69–103.
- Barry Smith, "Beyond Concepts, or: Ontology as Reality Representation”, Achille Varzi and Laure Vieu (eds.), Formal Ontology and Information Systems. Proceedings of the Third International Conference (FOIS 2004), Amsterdam: IOS Press, 2004, 73–84.
- Barry Smith, “Ontology”, in Luciano Floridi (ed.), Blackwell Guide to the Philosophy of Computing and Information, Oxford: Blackwell, 2003, 155–166.
- Barry Smith and David M. Mark, “Do Mountains Exist? Towards an Ontology of Landforms”, Environment and Planning B (Planning and Design), 30 (3), 2003, 411–427.
- Barry Smith, “Fiat Objects”, Topoi, 20: 2 (September 2001), 131–148.
- Smith, B.; Mark, D. M. (2001). "Geographical categories: An ontological investigation" (PDF). International Journal of Geographical Information Science 15 (7): 591. doi:10.1080/13658810110061199.
- Barry Smith and Achille Varzi, “Fiat and Bona Fide Boundaries”, Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, 60 (2), 2000, 401–420.
- Barry Smith, "The connectionist mind: A study of Hayekian psychology", in S. Frowen (ed.), Hayek: Economist and social philosopher: A critical retrospect, 9-29.
- Barry Smith and Achille Varzi, “The Niche”, Nous, 33 (2), 1999, 198–222.
- Smith, B. (1996). "Mereotopology: A theory of parts and boundaries" (PDF). Data & Knowledge Engineering 20 (3): 287–201. doi:10.1016/S0169-023X(96)00015-8.
- Barry Smith, “On Drawing Lines on a Map”, in Andrew U. Frank and Werner Kuhn (eds.), Spatial Information Theory. A Theoretical Basis for GIS (LNCS 988), Berlin/Heidelberg/New York, etc.: Springer, 1995, 475–484.
- Kevin Mulligan, Peter M. Simons and Barry Smith, “Truth-Makers”, Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, 44 (1984), 287–321.
- Smith, Barry (1976). The Ontology of Reference: Studies in Logic and Phenomenology (PhD thesis). University of Manchester.
- Smith, B.; Ceusters, W. (2010). "Ontological realism: A methodology for coordinated evolution of scientific ontologies". Applied ontology 5 (3–4): 139–188. doi:10.3233/AO-2010-0079. PMC 3104413. PMID 21637730.
- Smith, B.; Rosse, C. (2004). "The role of foundational relations in the alignment of biomedical ontologies". Studies in health technology and informatics 107 (Pt 1): 444–448. PMID 15360852.
- Smith, B.; Williams, J.; Schulze-Kremer, S. (2003). "The ontology of the gene ontology". AMIA ... Annual Symposium proceedings / AMIA Symposium. AMIA Symposium 2003: 609–613. PMC 1480173. PMID 14728245.
- Smith, B.; Ceusters, W.; Klagges, B.; Köhler, J.; Kumar, A.; Lomax, J.; Mungall, C.; Neuhaus, F.; Rector, A. L.; Rosse, C. (2005). "Relations in biomedical ontologies". Genome Biology 6 (5): R46. doi:10.1186/gb-2005-6-5-r46. PMC 1175958. PMID 15892874.
- Schober, D.; Smith, B.; Lewis, S. E.; Kusnierczyk, W.; Lomax, J.; Mungall, C.; Taylor, C. F.; Rocca-Serra, P.; Sansone, S. A. (2009). "Survey-based naming conventions for use in OBO Foundry ontology development". BMC Bioinformatics 10: 125. doi:10.1186/1471-2105-10-125. PMC 2684543. PMID 19397794.
- Smith, B.; Ashburner, M.; Rosse, C.; Bard, J.; Bug, W.; Ceusters, W.; Goldberg, L. J.; Eilbeck, K.; Ireland, A.; Mungall, C. J.; Leontis, N.; Rocca-Serra, P.; Ruttenberg, A.; Sansone, S. A.; Scheuermann, R. H.; Shah, N.; Whetzel, P. L.; Lewis, S. (2007). "The OBO Foundry: Coordinated evolution of ontologies to support biomedical data integration". Nature Biotechnology 25 (11): 1251–1255. doi:10.1038/nbt1346. PMC 2814061. PMID 17989687.
- Brinkman, R. R.; Courtot, M.; Derom, D.; Fostel, J. M.; He, Y.; Lord, P.; Malone, J.; Parkinson, H.; Peters, B.; Rocca-Serra, P.; Ruttenberg, A.; Sansone, S. A.; Soldatova, L. N.; Stoeckert Jr, C. J.; Turner, J. A.; Zheng, J.; Obi, C. (2010). "Modeling biomedical experimental processes with OBI". Journal of biomedical semantics. 1 Suppl 1 (Suppl 1): S7. doi:10.1186/2041-1480-1-S1-S7. PMC 2903726. PMID 20626927.
- Introduction to Biomedical Ontology in Eight Lectures (Streaming Video)
- Barry Smith's faculty page at the University of Buffalo
- Works by or about Barry Smith in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Institute for Formal Ontology and Medical Information Science
- Basic Formal Ontology