|Sir Barry Michael Thornton|
Air Marshal Sir Barry Thornton in March 2007
|Service/branch||Royal Air Force|
|Years of service||1976–2009|
|Commands held||Air Member for Material (2007–09)
Personnel and Training Command (2006–07)
Air Member for Logistics (2004–06)
|Awards||Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath|
Thornton joined the Royal Air Force in 1976. He was given command of the Engineering and Supply Wing at RAF Honington in 1988 and subsequently deployed to Tabuk Air Base during the Gulf War. In 1991 he took command of the RAF's nuclear weapon inspection team. Then in 1997 he joined the Defence Procurement Agency as the Director of Maritime Projects with responsibility for the Merlin and Nimrod programmes. In 2000 he became Controller of Aircraft on the Air Force Board and in 2003 he was made Director General Equipment Support (Air) and then Director General Logistics (Strike) at the Defence Logistics Organisation. He became the last Commander in Chief Personnel and Training Command in January 2006 serving until April 2007 when the command was merged into Air Command: he then took up the post of Chief of Defence Material (Air) at Defence Equipment & Support. He retired in May 2009.
- "Delia Thornton". St Johns Chambers.
- "Lady Delia Thornton – Barrister–at-Law". Fly2Help. Archived from the original on 8 September 2014.
- Air Marshal Barry Thornton CB RAF Ministry of Defence
- Air of Authority – A History of RAF Organisation – Air Council Appointments 2 Archived 10 October 2007 at the Wayback Machine.
- Ministry of Defence website Archived 15 February 2010 at the Wayback Machine.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Barry Thornton.|
|Air Member for Logistics
Sir Joe French
|Air Member for Personnel
|Commander-in-Chief Personnel and Training Command
|Chief of Material (Air)
|This biographical article related to the Royal Air Force is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|