|Member of the Idaho Senate
from District 33
December 1, 2002
|Preceded by||Bert Marley|
|Member of the Idaho Senate
from District 29
December 1, 1998 – December 1, 2002
|Preceded by||John Hansen|
|Succeeded by||Bert Marley|
March 7, 1955 |
Rapid City, South Dakota
|Spouse(s)||Marion Woffinden Davis|
|Alma mater||Brigham Young University
University of Idaho (J.D. 1980)
|Religion||The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon)|
Bart McKay Davis (born March 7, 1955) is a Republican member of the Idaho Senate, representing the 33rd District (Idaho Falls) since 1999. He is currently the Idaho Senate Majority Leader, a member of Legislative Council, and a board member of the Idaho Bond Bank Authority.
Early life and education
Born in Rapid City, South Dakota, Davis was raised in Idaho Falls. He married Marion Woffinden Davis in 1976 and together they have six children. Davis received a Bachelor of Arts in English from Brigham Young University in 1978 and a Juris Doctor in 1980 from the University of Idaho College of Law.
Following his graduation from law school he began his legal practice in Idaho Falls. He is admitted to practice before the Idaho Supreme Court, the United States District Court for the District of Idaho, the United States District Court for the District of Arizona, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, and the United States Supreme Court.
Since 2001, Davis has represented Idaho as a commissioner on the Uniform Law Commission.
- Judiciary and Rules
- State Affairs
- Bart Davis, Kate Kelly, and Kristin Ford, Use of Legislative History: Willow Witching for Legislative Intent, 43 Idaho College of Law Review 585 (2007).
- Bart Davis, Idaho's Messy History with Term Limits: A Modest Response, Idaho College of Law Review (forthcoming).
- Member, Boy Scouts of America
- Member, Idaho Falls Education Advisory Council since 1998
- Rotarian, Idaho Falls Rotary Club since 1983
- Board Member, Idaho Law Review Advisory Board, College of Law, University of Idaho (2006–2007)
- Board Member, Eastern Idaho Special Services Agency (2000–2004)
- Member, Idaho Falls Civic Auditorium Organ Fun (1989–1990)
Mr. Davis has been honored as a recipient of the following awards:
- Special Recognition for Extraordinary Contributions to the Improved Administration of Justice in Idaho; Idaho Judicial Conference 2010
- Professor Boyd A. Martin Award; Idaho Association of Cities
- Outstanding Republican Elected Official Award by Region VII; Idaho Republican Party
- 2009 Legislator of the Year; Idaho State Republican Party
- Leadership to Eastern Idaho Award; Idaho Falls Chamber of Commerce
- Cesar Chavez/Dolores Huerta Farmworker Justice Award
- Leadership Award (2009)
- Shooting Star Award (2004)
- 2004 & 2009 National Leadership Award; State Government Affairs Council