January 17, 1970
Manhattan, New York City, U.S.
|Occupation||Film director, film producer, screenwriter, television director|
|Spouse(s)||Julianne Moore (m. 2003)|
Bartholomew "Bart" Freundlich (born January 17, 1970) is an American film director, television director, screenwriter and film producer.
Freundlich was born and raised in Manhattan and graduated with a double major in Cinema Studies and Film and Television Production from New York University's Tisch School of the Arts. His brother, Oliver Freundlich, is an architect.
Before his first full-length film, The Myth of Fingerprints (which would receive awards at the Sundance Film Festival) in 1994, Freundlich had written and directed a short film titled A Dog Race in Alaska and a documentary titled Hired Hands.
Freundlich has been in a relationship with actress Julianne Moore since 1996, when they met on the set of The Myth of Fingerprints. When casting Moore's character, Mia, Freundlich explains that he “was looking for someone who had a lot of complication, a lot of sadness under the surface, and betrayed very, very little of it in her face.” During filming, Freundlich recalls seeing Moore standing outside, exposed to the elements without a coat: "I came up to her and stood with my back to the wind. I didn’t want her to be cold, and I also didn’t want to put my arm around her, or smother her, because I didn’t know her that well...Even though I couldn’t have articulated it then, I understood that I could keep her warm up to a point. But then the rest was going to be for her to do. We connected in that moment on an unspoken level, where she knew I saw that flame in her, and understood it, and was willing not to suffocate it but to protect it.”  They married on August 23, 2003. The couple have a son, Caleb (born December 4, 1997) and a daughter, Liv Helen (born April 11, 2002). Moore has appeared in all of Freundlich's feature films with the exception of Catch That Kid (2004), The Rebound (2009), and Wolves (2017).
- The Myth of Fingerprints (1997)
- World Traveler (2001)
- Catch That Kid (2004)
- Trust the Man (2005)
- The Rebound (2009)
- Wolves (2016)
- A Dog Race in Alaska (1993)
- Hired Hands (1994)
- Californication (2007–2012, 8 episodes)
- Prime Suspect (2012, 1 episode)
- Mozart in the Jungle (2014, 2 episodes)
- Believe (2014, 1 episode)
- "Bart Freundlich Movies & TV". The New York Times. Retrieved March 14, 2012.
- "BFA Alumni: Tisch School of the Arts at NYU". Cinema.tisch.nyu.edu. Retrieved August 12, 2012.
- Bart Freundlich, FilmBug
- "Julianne Moore, Beauty and a Beast". The New Yorker. Retrieved 2017-07-10.
- "Julianne Moore". Us Weekly. Retrieved July 30, 2012.
- Julianne Moore still fearless. Barlow, Helen. The Saturday Paper. www.thesaturdaypaper.com Published November 22, 2014. Accessed March 8, 2017.
- "Hollywood Now: How Michal J. Fox Celebrates, X-Mas Day Premieres & More." Miller, Gerri. Interfaith Family. www.interfaithfamily.com Published December 11, 2014. Accessed March 8, 2017.