||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (November 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Bart Moore-Gilbert (8 December 1952 - 2 December 2015) was a Tanzanian born British academic, orientalist and political campaigner, most widely known for his work in the field of postcolonial literary studies and theory. His work has been translated into fifteen languages. Moore-Gilbert taught at Goldsmiths College, University of London, a position he held from 1998. His final academic study, the first critical assessment of postcolonial life-writing in English, was published by Routledge in June 2009.
In 2014, Verso published Moore-Gilbert's memoir, The Setting Sun: A Memoir of Empire and Family Secrets, a highly acclaimed account of his travels in India undertaken to shed light on his father's alleged role in acts of British colonial brutality. The book, which combined elements of travel writing, historical research and personal memoir, received positive reviews in The Guardian, Hürriyet Daily News, and Times Educational Supplement and was shortlisted for the PEN Ackerley Prize.
- Cultural Closure? The Challenge of the Arts in the 1970s ISBN 978-0415099059
- Cultural Revolution? The Challenge of the Arts in the 1960s ISBN 978-0415078245
- Postcolonial Theory: Contexts, Practices, Politics ISBN 978-1859840344
- Post Colonial Criticism (Longman Critical Reader) (ed) ISBN 978-0-582-23798-8
- Writing India (ed), 1757-1990: Literature of British India ISBN 978-0719042652
- Kipling and Orientalism ISBN 978-0709935056
- Hanif Kureishi ISBN 978-0719055355
- Postcolonial Life-Writing: Culture, Politics, and Self-Representation ISBN 978-0415443005
- The Setting Sun: A Memoir of Empire and Family Secrets ISBN 978-1781682685
- Voices of victimhood, review of Post-Colonial Theory in the Times Higher Education Supplement, accessed 2008-11-28
- "Moore-Gilbert's page at Goldsmiths College". Retrieved 2008-11-28.
- "Lecture: Postcolonial Life Writing".
- "Bart Moore-Gilbert: the truth about my father". Times Higher Education (THE). Retrieved 2015-12-13.
- "Bart Moore-Gilbert has been shortlisted for the 2015 PEN Ackerley Prize!". Versobooks.com. Retrieved 2015-12-13.
- "The Setting Sun by Bart Moore-Gilbert – review". the Guardian. Retrieved 2015-12-13.
- "FOLDED CORNER - The Setting Sun: A Memoir of Empire and Family Secrets". Retrieved 2015-12-13.
- "oftherightkidney". oftherightkidney. Retrieved 2015-12-13.
|This biography article of a United Kingdom academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|