Bartle Bogle Hegarty
|Founded||Soho, London (1982)|
|Founder||John Bartle, Sir Nigel Bogle, Sir John Hegarty|
Bartle Bogle Hegarty (BBH) is a Global advertising agency. Founded in 1982 by British ad men John Bartle, Nigel Bogle, and John Hegarty, BBH has offices in London, New York, São Paulo, Singapore, Shanghai, Mumbai, Stockholm and Los Angeles and employs more than 1000 staff worldwide.
BBH opened for business on 29 March 1982 in Soho, London.
The agency’s first ad was for Levi’s and it showed a black sheep going against the herd. It became the agency icon and spawned the phrase, ‘when the world zigs, zag’. The Levi’s black sheep poster was not an easy ad to buy because at the time all jeans ads had people in them, but it proved successful.
Over the next 28 years, BBH went on to produce many award-winning films for Levi's. "Launderette" starred Nick Kamen and was set to a soundtrack of Marvin Gaye's 'I heard it through the Grapevine'. Other classic work includes “Drugstore”, “Creek”, “Flatbeat" featuring Flat Eric - a small yellow puppet, “Clayman” and “Odyssey” which was directed by Jonathan Glazer.
In 1997, Leo Burnett Worldwide purchased a 49 percent share in BBH; that share was then held by the Publicis advertising group. In July 2012, a final 51% share in BBH previously attributed to the agency's co-founders was bought out by part-owners Publicis.
BBH has won the Queen's Award for Export twice.
Sir John Hegarty was knighted in the Queen's Birthday Honours list in 2007 and Nigel Bogle was knighted in 2013.
BBH also became Effectiveness Agency Of The Year for 2008 at both the IPA and APG awards, the first agency to achieve this feat.
- "Close-Up: Why Levi's proved to be such a good fit for BBH". Retrieved 2015-09-11.
- "Levi's Laundrette Advert (1985)". Retrieved 2015-09-11.
- "Levi's: Drug Store - Video - Creativity Online". Retrieved 2015-09-11.
- "Flat Eric | Special reports | guardian.co.uk". www.theguardian.com. Retrieved 2015-09-11.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9pEDjW-XmI, retrieved 2015-09-11 Missing or empty
- Cozens, Claire. "Levi's engineers a reversal of fortune". the Guardian. Retrieved 2015-09-11.
- "ZAG | ZAG is a branding agency that ventures. We build powerful brands for clients. And we invest our branding skills and resources into ventures with partners.". www.zaginvention.com. Retrieved 2015-09-15.
- "BBH branches into brand creation with Zag launch". Retrieved 2015-09-15.
- Patel, Kunur. (2012-07-05) Publicis Groupe Acquires Remaining Stake in Bartle Bogle Hegarty | Agency News - Advertising Age. Adage.com. Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- Publicis takes full control of BBH | Media | guardian.co.uk. Guardian. Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- "Bogle becomes second BBH founder to be knighted". Retrieved 2015-09-15.
- "CANNES LIONS HONOURS SIR JOHN HEGARTY WITH FIRST LION OF ST. MARK".
- "Advertising Agency of the Year: Bartle Bogle Hegarty". Campaign. 13 December 2012. Retrieved 9 August 2014.
- "Creativity Innovators Of The Year: BBH London". AdAge. 15 January 2015.
- Hegarty, John, "Hegarty on Advertising: Turning Intelligence Into Magic". Thames & Hudson; 13 June 2011 ISBN 978-0-500-51556-3.