Barabhas Uarach Upper Barvas
|Barvas shown within the Outer Hebrides|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Post town||ISLE OF LEWIS|
It developed around a road junction. The A857 and A858 meet at the southern end of Barvas. North is the road to Ness; west takes the traveller to Carloway and the West Side; south runs the road to Stornoway. According to the 2011 Census it still has the highest concentration of Scottish Gaelic speakers in Scotland (64% of the population) with 2,037.
- "Scottish Parliament: Placenames collected by Iain Mac an Tailleir" (PDF).
- "Parish of Barvas". ScotlandsPlaces. Retrieved 24 December 2010.
- "A857". Sabre. Retrieved 28 December 2014.
- "Census shows Gaelic declining in its heartlands". BBC News Online. 15 November 2013. Retrieved 28 December 2014.
- "Massive wind farm 'turned down'". BBC News Online. 25 January 2008. Retrieved 17 November 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Barvas.|
- Panorama of Barvas Bay (QuickTime required)
- Canmore - Lewis, Barvas site record
- Canmore - Lewis, Barvas, Cladh Mhuire site record
- Canmore - Barvas, Prehistoric House site record
- Canmore - Barvas, Prehistoric Cairn site record
|This article about a location in the Western Isles is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|