Bas Bron is perhaps best known in the Netherlands under the moniker Bastian. As Bastian, he scored a modest national hit in 2001 with the song "You've Got My Love", which was accompanied by a music video showing the song's lyrics on shirts worn by dancing women, showing only their upper chest. The song reached #17 in the Dutch Top 40. Later in 2001 the debut album Ready was released, filled with electrofunk and electropop-influenced music enhanced with Commodore 64 sound effects. Two years later the second album It's All Downhill From Here came out. The title referred to the buildup of the album; the theme of the songs would gradually become darker and heavier. In 2007 he released the album IV. The name of title refers to the fact that all songs on the album are exactly 4 minutes in length.
Live, Bastian performs as a band rather than a solo artist, with the band currently consisting of 8 members.
After two EPs, Bas Bron released the album The Booty Pop Phantom under the pseudonym Seymour Bits in 2006. The electrofunk album, quoted as reminding of Prince by several critics, was generally well received. Bron made up a fake persona of Seymour Bits, a 23-year-old computer programmer named Seymour Jackson who travelled to Zanzibar and Tanzania to pursue his dream of making electronic music. Seymour Bits still performs frequently, and released a new album in 2010.
Together with drummer Rimer Veeman, Bas Bron forms the group Comtron. The duo was formed in 2002, posing as higher management of a big evil stock trading cooperation, rich but disillusioned by the corporate world. This theme can be found in most of their songs as well; dark, heavy, electric funk. In 2002 and 2003, Comtron released two underground 12-inch singles. Their full-length debut album Follow The Money was released in 2007 by Rush Hour Recordings.
Other aliases and activities
Bas Bron has also released music under the pseudonyms Fatima Yamaha and Gifted and is a member and the producer of De Jeugd van Tegenwoordig, who had international success with their single "Watskeburt". Occasionally he performs with the Spaarndammerbuurtkliek as rapper Dubbel B and as Majoor Vlosshart: de Neger Des Heils, who also makes their beats. He also appeared on rapper Brainpower's second album Verschil Moet Er Zijn.
- Ready (2001)
- It's All Downhill From Here (2003)
- IV (2007)
- There's No Such Place (2011)
- You've Got My Love (2000, 12" vinyl)
- You've Got My Love (2001, CD single)
- Anything (2001)
- Love Is Incredible (2001)
- Paper Love (2003, 12" vinyl)
- Paper Love (2003, CD single)
- Downers (2003)
- Flight of the Starglider (2004)
- Sturdy (2007)
- Hit Me with Technology (2004)
- Bonparapara Attack! (2005)
- The Booty Pop Phantom (2006)
- Seymour Bits (2010)
- Follow The Money (2007)
- A Girl Between Two Worlds (2004/2015)
- Araya (2017)
- Imaginary Lines (2015)
EPs and singles
- Positive Contact (1996)
- Lost (2002)
- Held Back By Inferior Technology (2002)
- Biography Archived February 20, 2007, at the Wayback Machine. by 1001artiesten, Dutch, retrieved at January 8, 2007
- Interview Summary of an interview by VPRO 3voor12, Dutch, retrieved January 8, 2007.
- Biography Archived February 18, 2008, at the Wayback Machine. by Popinstituut, retrieved January 8, 2007.
- Interview[permanent dead link] (mentioned reference is in introduction) by Partyscene, Dutch, retrieved on January 8, 2007
- Review Archived September 28, 2007, at the Wayback Machine. by Platomania, Dutch, January 8, 2007
- Review by VPRO 3voor12, Dutch, retrieved January 8, 2007
- Review by Revu, Dutch, retrieved January 8, 2007.
- Magnetron Music official site, reference to be found under Artists -> Seymour Bits -> bio, retrieved January 8, 2007