|• Total||1.3479 km2 (0.5204 sq mi)|
|• Density||4,000/km2 (10,000/sq mi)|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Kanthi|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Kanthi Uttar|
|Cities and towns in Contai subdivision of Purba Medinipur district|
M: municipal city/ town, CT: census town, R: rural/ urban centre, S: port, sea-beach
Owing to space constraints in the small map, the actual locations in a larger map may vary slightly
Basantia is located at.
93.55% of the population of Contai subdivision live in the rural areas. Only 6.45% of the population live in the urban areas and it is considerably behind Haldia subdivision in urbanization, where 20.81% of the population live in urban areas.
Note: The map alongside presents some of the notable locations in the subdivision. All places marked in the map are linked in the larger full screen map.
As per 2011 Census of India Basantia had a total population of 5,455 of which 2,843 (52%) were males and 2,612 (48%) were females. Population below 6 years was 700. The total number of literates in Basantia was 3,749 (78.84% of the population over 6 years).
As per the District Census Handbook 2011, Basantia covered an area of 1.3479 km2. It had the facility of a railway station at Contai 12 km away and bus routes in the town. Amongst the civic amenities it had 100 road lighting points and 1,120 domestic electric connections. Amongst the medical facilities it had a hospital and 8 medicine shops in the town. Amongst the educational facilities it had were 2 primary schools, 2 secondary schools and a senior secondary school. The nearest degree college was at Contai.
Basantia is on Contai-Basantia-Benichak-Rasulpur Road.
Basantia High School is a coeducational higher secondary school.
Daruya Gandhi Smriti High School is a Bengali-medium coeducational school established in 1972.
Basantia Rural Hospital at Basantia (with 30 beds) is the main medical facility in Deshapran CD block. There are primary health centres at Barabantalia (with 15 beds) and Daulatpur, PO Dariapur (with 10 beds).
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Purba Medinipur". Table 2.2. Department of Planning and Statistics, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 22 April 2019.
- "2011 Census – Primary Census Abstract Data Tables". West Bengal – District-wise. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 2 April 2019.
- "District Census Handbook Purba Medinipur, Census of India 2011, Series 20, Part XII A" (PDF). Section II Town Directory, Statement I: Growth History, Pages 1207-1209; Statement II: Physical Aspects and Location of Towns, Page 1210; Statement III: Civic and other Amenities, Pages 1211-1212; Statement IV: Medical Facilities 2009, Pages 1212-1213; Section: Educational, Recreational and Cultural Facilities, Pages 1213-1215. Directorate of Census Operations, West Bengal. Retrieved 7 April 2019.
- Google maps
- "Basantia High School". WBCHSE. Retrieved 7 April 2019.
- "Daruya Gandhi Smriti High School". OurSchool.In. Retrieved 7 April 2019.
- "Health & Family Welfare Department". Health Statistics. Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 27 March 2019.