Type of site
|Owner||Sports Reference LLC|
|Created by||Sean Forman|
|Launched||February 1, 2000|
|4,383 (October 2014[update])|
Baseball-Reference.com is a website providing baseball statistics for every player in Major League Baseball history. The site is often used by major media organizations and baseball broadcasters as a source for statistics. It offers a variety of advanced baseball sabermetrics in addition to traditional baseball "counting stats".
Baseball-Reference.com is part of Sports Reference LLC; according to an article in Street & Smith's Sports Business Journal:
The Sports Reference sites combine to generate more than 1 million unique users per month, according to internal analytics. Company president and former college math professor Sean Forman has become something of a folk hero to baseball fans for the massive depth of data stretching to the 19th century and for the ease of navigation within Baseball-Reference.com.
The website came online in April 2000, after first being launched in February 2000 as part of the website for the Big Bad Baseball Annual. It was originally built as a web interface to the Lahman Baseball Database, though it now employs a variety of data sources.
It has year-by-year team pages, a baseball encyclopedia (the Bullpen, powered by MediaWiki software, using the GFDL), box scores and game logs from every MLB game back to 1914 and selected minor league player stats as far back as 1888.
In addition, there are a number of what the website calls "Frivolities", e.g., The Oracle of Baseball, which links any two players by common teammates in the way the pop culture favorite "Oracle of Bacon" website does. Another one of their Frivolities is the page devoted to Keith Hernandez's mustache, which is the only "fictional" page on B-R.com.
Baseball-Reference.com has its own baseball encyclopedia, a wiki called "Baseball Reference Bullpen", which can be edited by anyone and is modeled after Wikipedia. As of July 2015, the Baseball Reference Bullpen contains over 77,200 articles.
- "Baseball-reference.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 24 October 2014.
- Fisher, Eric (February 16, 2009). "FSV buys stake in reference sites". Sports Business Journal. Retrieved July 16, 2011.
- "About Sports Reference". Sports Reference. Archived from the original on March 30, 2009. Retrieved July 16, 2011.
- "Main Page – BR Bullpen". Baseball-Reference.com. Sports Reference. Archived from the original on June 17, 2009. Retrieved July 16, 2011.
- "Keith Hernandez Mustache," Baseball-Reference.com. Accessed June 8, 2015.
- Perry, Dayn. "Keith Hernandez's mustache has its own Baseball-Reference page," CBS Sports website (Apr. 30, 2013).
- Kramer, Staci D. (February 17, 2009). "Fantasy Sports Ventures Takes Minority Stake In Sports Reference LLC". CBS News. Retrieved August 27, 2013.
- "Main Page –BR Bullpen". Baseball-Reference.com. Sports Reference. Archived from the original on 19 July 2011. Retrieved July 17, 2011.