Based on a True Story (film)
|Based on a True Story|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Roman Polanski|
|Produced by||Wassim Béji|
|Written by||Olivier Assayas|
|Music by||Alexandre Desplat|
|Edited by||Margot Meynier|
|Distributed by||Mars Film (France)|
|Box office||$3.9 million|
Based on a True Story (French: D'après une histoire vraie) is a 2017 internationally co-produced psychological thriller film directed by Roman Polanski, based on the novel of the same name by Delphine de Vigan. It was screened out of competition at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival.
The film focuses on writer Delphine (Seigner), who achieved her first career success, publishing her debut novel dedicated to her mother. However, she soon starts receiving anonymous letters accusing her of exposing her family to the public. Depressed and struggling with writer's block, Delphine meets and begins a friendship with a mysterious younger woman (Green) who is seductive, intelligent, and intuitive and who understands Delphine better than anyone else.
- Emmanuelle Seigner as Delphine Dayrieux
- Eva Green as Elle
- Vincent Perez as François
- Dominique Pinon as Raymond
- Camille Chamoux as Oriane
- Brigitte Roüan as The documentalist
- Josée Dayan as Karina
- Noémie Lvovsky as The inspector
- Damien Bonnard as The perchman
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 47% based on 17 reviews, and an average rating of 5.1/10. On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 43 out of 100, based on 8 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
- JP. "D'après une Histoire Vraie (2017". JP's Box-Office. Retrieved 10 November 2017.
- "Based on a True Story (2017)". Box Office Mojo. IMDb. Retrieved 5 October 2018.
- Pond, Steve (27 April 2017). "Cannes Film Festival Adds Roman Polanski Film to Lineup". TheWrap. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "Based on a True Story (D'après une histoire vraie) (2017)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- "Based on a True Story Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 16 March 2018.