Basement playing a concert in São Paulo, Brazil, 2017.
|Origin||Ipswich, Suffolk, England|
Basement are an English rock band formed in 2009 in Ipswich, Suffolk, England. Their first studio album, I Wish I Could Stay Here, was released in 2011. The next year, Colourmeinkindness was released, charting on the Billboard Top 200.
After touring in support of Colourmeinkindness, the band went on hiatus in 2012. In 2014, they reunited to release the EP Further Sky. The next album, Promise Everything, charted in 2016 in Australia, the UK and the US. The band's fourth album, Beside Myself, was released in October 2018.
Basement formed in September 2009 in Ipswich, England, following the break-up of pop punk band In This for Fun. In This for Fun released The Away from Home EP before they broke-up. The band picked Basement as a name simply because they "wanted a short name that didn't mean much." On 17 May 2010, the band released their debut EP Songs About the Weather and in August, signed to Run for Cover.
They released their first full-length album, I Wish I Could Stay Here, through Run For Cover Records in 2011. The band promoted the release through several tours, including tours to Australia and two American tours with label mates and friends Daylight (now Superheaven). 
Before the release of their second album Colourmeinkindness, the band announced an hiatus. The group revealed that the break was "due to a number of personal commitments". Colourmeinkindness was released on 23 October and charted at number 188 on the US Billboard 200 chart. In mid-November, the band played their final shows. Guitarist Alex Henery later revealed it was due to vocalist Andrew Fisher wishing to become a certified teacher. This required Fisher to return to school for a period of a year and a half. Drummer James Fisher, Andrew's younger brother, was graduating from art school, and the rest of the members were working on their respective careers. Henery, meanwhile, was working as a videographer in Boston, Massachusetts for Run for Cover.
On 29 January 2014 a tweet was posted on the band's Twitter account simply saying "Hi", and the dates "2008–2012" were removed from their Twitter and Facebook biographies, suggesting the band had returned from their hiatus. The band posted on Facebook later that day confirming that the hiatus was over as well as suggesting that there would be a summer tour.
In June 2014, the band announced that they had recorded a new EP for release in July of that year, entitled Further Sky including two new songs, plus a cover of Suede's "Animal Nitrate". The band toured across Australia, Japan and America between 26 July and 20 August. For the latter, all of the tour dates had sold out. The band then played a trio of shows (London, Leeds and Manchester) in the UK in late October with support from Cloakroom and Newmoon.
Guitarist Alex Henery noted in an August 2014 interview with The Aquarian that they were writing material for a new album. On 29 January 2016, the band released Promise Everything. On 3 February 2017, it was announced that the band had signed to major label Fueled by Ramen.
In July 2018, Basement posted a teaser video on their social media accounts which featured footage of them recording in the studio. One week later, the band released a new single entitled "Disconnect." The song is the lead track from their fourth album, Beside Myself, which was released globally on October 12. A month before the album is set to be released, the band premiered a second single on Highsnobiety entitled "Stigmata".  A third single, "Be Here Now" was released on October 2, 2018.
AllMusic biographer Matt Collar described the band's sound as influenced by "melodic hardcore punk". Collar later described the band's sound as noise rock. The band is heavily influenced by early 90s acts such as Sunny Day Real Estate and Nirvana, as well as emo bands the Promise Ring and Braid. On Songs About the Weather, Punknews.org reviewer Brian Shultz compared the band to the likes of Title Fight, Daylight and Bearings. The EP's sound has been described as pop punk. I Wish I Could Stay Here has been described as emo, pop punk and post-hardcore. Colourmeinkindness has been described as emo, grunge, punk rock, rock, and alternative rock. Further Sky has been described as alternative rock and rock. Promise Everything has been described as alternative rock.
- James Fisher – drums
- Andrew Fisher – lead vocals
- Alex Henery – rhythm guitar, backing vocals
- Ronan Crix – lead guitar
- Duncan Stewart – bass
- I Wish I Could Stay Here (2011)
- Colourmeinkindness (2012)
- Promise Everything (2016)
- Beside Myself (2018)
- "Basement announce "indefinite hiatus"". Punknews.org. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- "Basement End Hiatus, Post Statement". Run For Cover Records. Run For Cover Records. Archived from the original on 2 February 2014. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- "Interviews: Basement". Punknews.org. Retrieved 5 October 2018.
- Ferreira, Linda (17 June 2011). "Basement - 06.13.11". AbsoutePunk. Archived from the original on 12 April 2014. Retrieved 30 December 2016.
- "Run For Cover in the Basement – News Article". AbsolutePunk.net. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- "ThePunkSite.com – Run For Cover Records Signs UK's Basement". Thebeta.thepunksite.com. 23 May 2011. Archived from the original on 4 February 2013. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- "Basement announce Australian tour | News". Kill Your Stereo. Archived from the original on 21 June 2012. Retrieved 2013-03-23.
- "Basement (Run For Cover) announce US tour with Dead End Path, Daylight and Soul Search". Altpress.com. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- "Basement & America Full Documentary". YouTube. 8 February 2012. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- "Basement To Go On Hiatus". Rock Sound. Freeway Press Inc. 19 July 2012. Archived from the original on 12 February 2016. Retrieved 30 January 2016.
- "Basement - Colourmeinkindness | Release Info". AllMusic. Retrieved 30 January 2016.
- "Basement - Chart history (Billboard 200)". Billboard. Retrieved 30 January 2016.
- "Basement Stream New Single 'Spoiled'". Rock Sound. 10 September 2012. Retrieved 30 January 2016.
- Sailer, Ben (17 June 2014). "The Secret Is Out: Basement Has Returned with a Surprise EP, 'Further Sky'". Noisey.vice.com. Archived from the original on 12 February 2016. Retrieved 30 January 2016.
- Biddulph 2016, p. 77
- "Basement - Further Sky". Run For Cover Records. 17 June 2014. Retrieved 17 June 2014.
- Obenschain, Philip (19 February 2014). "Basement announce summer dates in U.S., Japan". Alternative Press. Alternative Press Magazine, Inc. Retrieved 30 January 2016.
- McGrath, Ryan (6 August 2014). "Interview with Basement: Wish I Could Stay Here". The Aquarian Weekly. Diane Casazza, Chris Farinas. Retrieved 30 January 2016.
- "Basement Have Finally (Finally!) Announced Some UK Headline Shows". Rock Sound. Freeway Press Inc. 26 August 2014. Retrieved 30 January 2016.
- Beringer, Drew (3 October 2014). "Newmoon Perform "Aria" Live + Tour Dates w/ Basement". AbsolutePunk. SpinMedia. Retrieved 30 January 2016.
- Leak, Brian (28 October 2015). "Basement stream upcoming album's title track, "Promise Everything"". Alternative Press. Alternative Press Magazine, Inc. Retrieved 30 January 2016.
- Toney, Jordan (3 February 2017). "Basement sign to Fueled by Ramen, announce deluxe release of 'Promise Everything'—listen". Alternative Press. Alternative Press Magazine, Inc. Retrieved 3 February 2017.
- Renshaw, David. "U.K. band Basement announce new album, share "Disconnect"". Thefader.com. Retrieved 2 August 2018.
- Gore, Sydney (7 September 2018). "Let Basement Energize Your High Lows With "Stigmata"". Highsnobiety. Retrieved 13 September 2018.
- "Basement Premieres Infectious 'Be Here Now' Ahead Of Major Label Debut LP: Exclusive". Billboard.com. Retrieved 5 October 2018.
- Collar, Matt. "Basement | Biography & History". AllMusic. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
- Collar, Matt. "Promise Everything - Basement | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 31 January 2016.
- "Basement | Band of the Week | Features | Rock Sound". Rocksound.tv. Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- Collar, Matt. "Colourmeinkindness - Basement | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 19 October 2015.
- Punknews.org. "Basement - Songs About the Weather [7-inch]". Punknews.org. Retrieved 5 October 2018.
- "Album Review: Basement - Songs About The Weather". Alterthepress.com. Retrieved 5 October 2018.
- Goodchild, Chantelle. "Album Review: Basement - I Wish I Could Stay Here". Alterthepress.com. Retrieved 1 July 2011.
- Tremain, James. "Album Review: Basement - Colourmeinkindness". Alterthepress.com. Retrieved 28 November 2014.
- Kraus, Brian (29 July 2014). "Basement - Further Sky EP - Reviews". Alternative Press. Retrieved 19 October 2015.
- Dan H. (9 November 2014). "Review: Basement - Further Sky". Sputnikmusic. Retrieved 19 October 2015.
- Houle, Zachary (29 July 2014). "Basement: Further Sky EP". PopMatters. Retrieved 19 October 2015.
- RENALDO69 (11 January 2016). "Basement Promise Everything". Punknews.org. Retrieved 22 January 2016.