Type of site
|Online perfume database|
|Created by||Grant Osborne|
|35,167 (April 2014[update])|
Basenotes is a United Kingdom-based online fragrance resource which includes a fragrance database, message boards and editorial. The site was launched in August 2000 by Grant Osborne as an information site for men's fragrance and grooming. In 2004, the site expanded to include feminine fragrances.
|This section requires expansion with: Basic company data (country, funding/business model, number of employees, revenue & profits). (June 2008)|
The Basenotes Fragrance Directory
The Basenotes Fragrance Directory contains over 11,000 fragrances and over 30,000 fragrance reviews by the site's visitors. Users of the site can search for fragrances by name, house, year of launch, gender, notes (ingredients), perfumer or bottle designer. Visitors to the site can submit information to be included in the directory.
The Basenotes community
Basenotes has a lively fragrance discussion board, described by the New York Times as "the rialto for perfume talk", where registered members can discuss fragrances and trade fragrances in the Basenotes Marketplace.
The Basenotes Fragrance Awards
Each year Basenotes asks visitors to the site to vote for their favorite fragrances that year. Regular winners include Old Spice, Shalimar, Vetiver de Guerlain, Chanel No.5, YSL M7, Green Irish Tweed and A*Men. There are also categories for the best new fragrance and best celebrity fragrance.
The site also has regularly updated industry news, user blogs, articles and interviews with figures in the fragrance industry.
Awards and recognition
Basenotes has won five awards for its editorial content at The Canadian Fragrance Awards in 2007, 2008 and 2009. All three of these winning articles were written by Marian Bendeth, a regular contributor and fragrance expert.
In 2009, the website won a prize for Best Web Editorial at the Jasmine Awards for an article by the writer, Liz Upton. The following year, the same prize was won by the Basenotes writer, Walker Minton.
- "Basenotes.net Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- Basenotes: an interview with Grant Osborne :: Now Smell This
- Women's Wear Daily 1 September 2007 http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-179313929.html
- Alexis Petridis: I smell a rat in men's fragrance | Life and style | The Guardian
- Virginia Heffernan - The Medium - Television - Internet Video - Media - New York Times
- P&F.com | News | Basenotes.net Award Winners
- The click - Times Online
- Coty Canada, Prestilux Inc., Estee Lauder and Lancome: Big Winners At The 2007 Canadian Fragrance Awards-Shelley Rozenwald Awarded Lifetime Achievement Award
- German Duftstars, Canadian Fragrance Awards ~ the 2008 winners :: Now Smell This
- 50 Recommended Web sites: Tech: mensvogue.com