Basic Element (company)
|diversified industrial group|
|Industry||Energy, Manufacturing, Financial Services, Construction and Aviation.|
|Revenue||27,000,000,000 US dollar (2012)|
Basic Element Ltd. (Russian: Ба́зовый элеме́нт, tr. Bazovy element, IPA: [ˈbazəvɨj ɨlʲɪˈmʲent], or simply Базэл) is one of the largest diversified industrial groups in Russia founded in 1997 and owned by Oleg Deripaska. It is based in the British tax haven Jersey the HQ is in Moscow. It was known as Siberian Aluminum until 2001.
Basic Element has been managing Oleg Deripaska’s investments into the following six economic sectors - energy and mining, manufacturing, financial services, construction and real estate, agribusiness and airport management.
Over 150,000 people work at the group's companies in Russia, the CIS, Africa, Australia, Asia, Europe and Latin America.
Energy and mining sector
- 47.41% stake in alumina and aluminium producer UC RUSAL
- 100% stake in EuroSibEnergo PLC power company
- a 100% in Strikeforce Mining and Resources Ltd (SMR) (ferromolybdenum producer)
- a 100% in En+ Downstream (includes aluminium downstream assets)
- a 100% in En+ Coal
- Central European Aluminium Company (CEAC) which has run the Kombinat Aluminijuma Podgorica (KAP) aluminum smelter in Montenegro - and the Rudnic Boxita Niksic bauxite mine, which supplies raw materials for the smelter, since 2005.
- Dmitrov Pilot Plant for Aluminium Canning Tape (DOZAKL) strip with a polished surface for the manufacture of lamplight reflectors and lath ceilings.
Machine building sector
The Russian Machines corporation was established in 2005 to unite Basic Element's machine building assets.
Russian Machines is a diversified corporation, with industrial and engineering assets in the following sectors:
- automobile manufacturing, production of road-building equipment (GAZ Group),
- automobile components (RM Systems),
- freight cars (RM Rail)
- aircraft building (Aviakor),
- road construction machinery (GAZ Group).
Russian Machines Corporation manages 26 facilities located across 14 regions of Russia.
Basel Aero, a joint venture between Changi Airports International, Basic Element and Sberbank of Russia, is a company-operator of Sochi, Krasnodar and Anapa airports. As of 2015 the company handles 9.5% of total passenger traffic and 3.5% of the total cargo traffic in Russia.
Basel Aero Airports
Financial services sector
Basic Element has been managing Oleg Deripaska’s personal stake in the amount of 10% of Ingosstrakh's ordinary shares. The company is a leading insurer of complex risks such as insurance for ship owners, ship hull insurance, insurance against aviation and space-related risks, and insurance of transportation companies. Ingosstrakh has 83 branches in Russia and the company’s offices operate in 220 Russian towns and cities.
Glavstroy Corporation is a vertically integrated construction holding. Management functions are carried out by Glavstroy-Management.
- Construction of housing and public buildings (Glavmosstroy)
- Construction of transport infrastructure (Transstroy)
- Development (OJSC Glavstroy, Glavstroy-Spb and RogSibAl)
- Production of building materials (Basel Cement)
- The Kuban AgroHolding
- AquaDin (LLC), manufacturer of non-alcoholic beverages
- Voskhod Stud Farm
- Imeretinsky Port, Sochi
- BasEl Real Estate
- "Oleg Deripaska's Basic Element conglomerate now has a former spook as CEO". Meduza. 15 June 2018. Retrieved 16 June 2018.
- US-Finanzministerium 6. April 2018: Treasury Designates Russian Oligarchs, Officials, and Entities in Response to Worldwide Malign Activity, abgerufen am 9. April 2018.
- "Basic Element Company". Business Week. Retrieved 2009-07-28.
- "History of the Russian Aluminium Industry". Rusal.ru. Retrieved 2 June 2017.
- "Business". Basic Element. Archived from the original on 2014-08-26. Retrieved 2014-09-02.
- "Company key facts". Basic Element. Archived from the original on 2014-08-26. Retrieved 2014-09-02.
- "Basic Element increases assets and revenues". Basic Element. Archived from the original on 2015-06-30. Retrieved 2014-09-02.
- "Суммарная выручка группы "Базовый элемент" в 2012г. составила 27 млрд долл". RBC. Archived from the original on 2014-07-15. Retrieved 2014-09-02.
- "Business". basel.ru. Archived from the original on 2011-09-11. Retrieved 2011-08-23.
- "Our businesses". enplus.ru. Archived from the original on 2014-09-03. Retrieved 2014-09-02.
- "Аэропорты «Базэл Аэро» с января по май 2016 года обслужили более 2,8 млн пассажиров". Коммерсантъ. 14 June 2016. Retrieved 14 July 2017.