Basic Enlisted Submarine School
|Type||United States Navy Training Command|
|Campus||Naval Submarine Base New London|
|Website||Basic Enlisted Submarine School|
Basic Enlisted Submarine School (BESS) is the U.S. Navy's submarine training school for enlisted sailors. Located on Naval Submarine Base New London (NAVSUBASE NLON) in Groton, New London County, Connecticut, the school is an eight-week introduction to the basic theory, construction and operation of nuclear-powered submarines. The course includes instruction on shipboard organization, submarine safety and escape procedures. This program requires passing a physical and mental screening. As of 2015[update], BESS is open to female sailors, including current sailors who wish to join the submarine force by completing the two-month program.
High Risk Trainers
The Navy operates four high risk trainers at New London that sub school classes attend in random order. They are:
- Fire Fighting - Students are instructed in the differences between submarine and surface ship fire fighting and the special equipment used in sub-surface fire fighting.
- Damage Control - Sailors are required to patch leaks and seal ruptured pipes before their compartment completely floods.
- Submarine Escape - Personnel learn how to successfully escape from a disabled submarine in 40 feet of water via a realistic trainer.
- Ship Control - i.e. "Dive And Drive." Students learn how to steer and dive/rise the submarine.
- "Basic Enlisted Submarine School Graduation". 2008-09-28. Retrieved 2008-10-01.[permanent dead link]
- Copeland, Kevin. "Submarine Force Will Begin Integration of Enlisted Women". Navy.mil. United States Navy. Retrieved 2 June 2015.
- "シェアハウスは東京で探すのが良い". Archived from the original on 2015-02-16. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- www.navy.mil "Submarine Escape Trainer Completed", 2 November 2007, retrieved 11 February 2014
- Dual Graduations of Basic Enlisted Submarine School-Naval Submarine School
- Basic Enlisted Submarine School (BESS)
- Naval Submarine School
- on YouTube
- Navy Basic Enlisted Submarine School
|This United States Navy article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|