Basic Training Honor Graduate Ribbon
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Basic Training Honor Graduate Ribbon|
Air Force (top), Coast Guard (middle), Navy (bottom)
Department of the Air Force
United States Coast Guard
United States Navy
|Established||3 April 1976 (U.S. Air Force)
3 March 1984 (U.S. Coast Guard)
18 August 2015 (U.S. Navy)
|First awarded||April 1976 (U.S. Air Force)
March 1984 (U.S. Coast Guard)
August 2015 (U.S. Navy)
|Next (higher)||Air Force: USAF NCO PME Graduate Ribbon
Coast Guard: Coast Guard Overseas Service Ribbon
Navy: Navy Ceremonial Duty Ribbon
|Next (lower)||Air Force: Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Coast Guard: Coast Guard Recruiting Service Ribbon
Navy: Armed Forces Reserve Medal
The Basic Training Honor Graduate Ribbon is a military award of the United States Air Force, U.S. Coast Guard, and U.S. Navy which recognizes top recruits who graduate at the top of their training classes upon completion of basic training.
U.S. Air Force
The Air Force Basic Military Training Honor Graduate Ribbon was established on 3 April 1976 by order of the Air Force Chief of Staff, General David Charles Jones. The ribbon is awarded to graduates of Air Force basic training who have obtained an honor graduate designation and demonstrate excellence in all areas of academic and military training.
An airman must achieve at least a 90% on his/her physical fitness level during the final AFBMT physical fitness test. The AFBMT physical fitness test has four parts: 1.5-mile run time (60%), number of sit ups in a minute (10%), number of push ups in a minute (10%), and waist measurement (20%). If the trainee fails to reach a score of at least 90%, the airman is ineligible no matter how well he or she performed in other areas of basic training. Additionally, the airman must average over a 90 percent on all the written examinations, and never fail a graded inspection (graded inspections are conducted randomly after week #3). As well, the airman must never receive a negative mark in a written evaluation. Current regulations limit the number of selectees to no more than ten percent of the graduating squadron. 
The U.S. Air Force Basic Military Training Honor Graduate Ribbon is a one time award and may not be presented retroactively. Those awarded are entitled to wear the Air Force Basic Training Honor Graduate Ribbon for the rest of their U.S. Air Force career.
U.S. Coast Guard
The Coast Guard Basic Training Honor Graduate Ribbon was first created on 3 March 1984, with the first presentation in April of that same year to then Seaman apprentice Scott Woodard. The Basic Training Honor Graduate Ribbon is presented to the service member who graduates top of their basic training instruction class.
Retroactive presentations of the Basic Training Honor Graduate Ribbon may be awarded upon application from the service member to the United States Coast Guard. In such cases, the award will be presented for basic training graduation prior to 1984, only with supporting documentation and a written request from the service member.
The Ribbon, Honor Graduate, U.S. Navy was created in 2015. On 18 August 2015, U.S. Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus released a statement authorizing the establishment of the Navy Basic Military Training Honor Graduate Ribbon. This ribbon is awarded to "initial accession enlisted personnel of the U.S. Navy who are designated as Honor Graduates." No more than three percent of each training group will be designated as honor graduates. The first group awarded was in August 2015. No retroactive awards will be made. In the Navy's order of precedence the ribbon is worn after the Navy Ceremonial Guard Ribbon and before the Armed Forces Reserve Medal.
- Defense Logistics Agency (5 October 2015). "Ribbon, Honor Graduate, U.S. Navy". Defense Logistics Agency. Defense Logistics Agency. Retrieved 25 February 2017.
- Defense Logistics Agency (5 October 2015). "Detail Specification Sheet: Ribbon, Honor Graduate, U.S. Navy" (PDF). MIL-DTL-11589/663. Defense Logistics Agency. Retrieved 25 February 2017.
- "Awards and Decorations". Air Force Personnel Center Library. Air Force Personnel Center. Archived from the original on 23 January 2013. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- "ALCOAST 215/10 COMDTNOTE 1650". US Coast Guard. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- COMDTINST M1650.25D Medals and Awards Manual (PDF). United States Coast Guard. May 2008. pp. 1–14.
- USAF Basic Military Training Honor Graduate Ribbon
- "Air Force Instruction 36-2803" (PDF). Air Force Personnel Center. 22 June 2015. Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- "ALN15063". 2015.
- "Navy Establishes New Honor Graduate Ribbon". navy.mil Underway. United States Navy. Archived from the original on 13 April 2016. Retrieved 13 April 2016.