Basilica of St. Mary, Champakulam
|St. Mary's Basilica (Valia Palli, Kerala)|
Champakulam Kalloorkadu Marth Maryam
Champakulam St. Mary's Syro-Malabar Catholic Church (Kalloorkkadu Palli) / Valia Palli. This is the view from the North East side.
|Affiliation||Syro-Malabar Catholic Church|
|Ecclesiastical or organizational status||Minor Basilica|
|Leadership||Vicar: Fr. Abraham Kadathukalam, Arch Bishop: Mar Joseph Perumthottam, Archdiocese: Archdiocese Of Changancherry|
|Year consecrated||AD 427|
|Location||Champakulam, Alappuzha, Kerala, India|
Champakulam Kalloorkadu Marth Maryam (St. Mary's) Basilica (Malayalam: ചമ്പക്കുളം വലിയ പള്ളി) is an ancient Christian Church in Kerala. It belongs to the Syro-Malabar Church under the Archeparchy of Changanacherry. It is a Forane church, with several parishes under it.
- 1 History
- 2 The Church At Glance
- 3 Holy Qurbana Timings
- 4 Famous Parishioners
- 5 Annual Feasts
- 6 Religious Houses In the Parish
- 7 Other institutions under the Parish
- 8 Location (Wikimapia)
- 9 Catholic Organizations
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Champakulam Kalloorkadu Marth Maryam Basilica (also called Champakulam Valia Palli) is one of the oldest Christian churches in India and the mother church of almost all Catholic Syrian churches in Alleppey District. Believed to be established in AD 427, the church was rebuilt many times. Champakulam church was once under Niranam Church, which was founded by the Apostle Saint Thomas himself. The many rock inscriptions found around the church tell us about the history of the church.
The open air Rock Cross at Champakulam church is one of the most ancient crosses with clear documentation of its antiquity, dating to AD 1151. There are many archaeological artifacts found around the church that tell more about its history. Champakulam Church had very friendly relations with the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Group and had a pivotal role in many ecumenical efforts in the Eighteian grouenth century. Ikkako Kathanar, one of the martyrs (nasranis) of East Syriac Catholics, was born in this parish.
Champakulam church has been recognized by the Universal Church as a Basilica. On 27 November 2016, the church was officially declared as a basilica by Pope Francis and Mar Joseph Perumthottam, the Metropolitan Archbishop of Changanacherry. This is the first basilica in the archdiocese of Changanasserry, the fourth in the Syro Malabar Church, the ninth in Kerala and the twenty-third basilica in India.
Over the years, the church has undergone significant updates. Initially, there was a small parish hall with about hundred seats. A few years back, a bigger Parish Hall was constructed. The latest, inaugurated on January 3rd, 2011, has 800+ seats. St. Mary's Theological Center was inaugurated in 2011 as well.
- Parish : Champakulam
- Forane : Champakulam
- Diocese : Changanacherry
- Patron : St. Mary
- First Church : AD 427
- Priests : 4
- Vicar :Very Rev. Fr. Joseph Vaniyapurackal
(1): Fr. Thomas Chekonthayil
- Catholic Population : 6500
- Catholic Families : 1378
- Phone : 0477-2736252
Holy Qurbana Timings
- Sundays : 6.00AM, 7.30AM, 9.30AM, 4.00PM
- Other Days : 6.00AM, 7.00AM
- Wednesdays : 6.30AM, 4.00PM
There are many famous parishioners in the history of Kalloorkadu church. One of them is the martyr of the church, Ikkako Kathanar.
Ikkako Kathanar- the forgotten martyr of Catholic Saint Thomas Christians
Ikkako Kathanar was a priest from this parish who became martyr in the hand of Portuguese for protecting the East Syriac tradition of the indigenous catholic church of India (Nasranis) mainly along the malabar coast. Till the arrival of Europeans Nasranis were belonging to the East Syriac rites in the Catholic Church. The Europeans under the Padroado and Propaganda tried to forcefully convert the nasranis into western or Latin rite. Ikkako Kathanar is one of the faithful of the church who tried to resist this illegal attempt which extended over more than five centuries. He attained martyrdom under the hands of propaganda carmelites during this.
Apart from general Christian Holy celebrations like Christmas, Good Friday & Easter (Holy week) etc., there are two main yearly feasts (മലയാളം: പെരുന്നാള്).
Feast of Mother Mary / Marian apparition(ദര്ശനതിരുന്നാള്)
The Feast of the Apparition lasts for 11 days of pious celebrations and concludes on the Sunday following 15 October.
Commemoration of the Death of St. Joseph (യൌസേപ്പ് പിതാവിന്റെ മരണ തിരുന്നാള്)
This is a 'shradham- Chatham' conducted in commemoration of the death of St. Joseph is held on 19 March every year. It attracts thousands of devotees to Kalloorkadu Church from far of places.
Moonnu Noyambu Perunnaal of Champakulam
Champakulam Church is one of the ancient churches in which "Moonnu Noyambu Perunnaal-(Three day fast- Rogation of Ninevites) celebrated regularly which has been discontinued in the recent past. There are clear documentation about the Moonnu noyambu perunaal of champakulam in the records about the financial help and support from the Kings of Chempakasserry for the feast.
Parishes Under Champakulam Forane
- Champakulam (Kalloorkad) St. Mary's Syro-Malabar Catholic Church 0477-2736252
- Kondackal St. Joseph's Syro-Malabar Catholic Church 0477-2736216
- Pullangady Holy Family Syro-Malabar Catholic Church 0477-2736346
- Thekkekara St. John's Syro-Malabar Catholic Church 0477-2707031
- Vadakkeamichakari St. George's Syro-Malabar Catholic Church 0477-2707075
- Vaisyambhagam St. Antony's Syro-Malabar Catholic Church 0477-2736501
- St. Joseph's Syro-Malabar Catholic Church, Chennamkary 0477-2724237
- Kandankary St. Joseph's Syro-Malabar Catholic Church 0477-2736278
- Narbonapuram St. Sebastian's Syro-Malabar Catholic Church 0477-2762205
- Nazareth St. Jerome's Syro-Malabar Catholic Church 0477-2762205
- Sleevapuram Syro-Malabar Catholic Church(Ponga) 0477-2762188
- Chennamkary Lourdes Matha Syro-Malabar Catholic Church 0477-
- Padaharam St.Joseph's Syro-Malabar Catholic Church
Religious Houses In the Parish
- St.Martin Chapel
- Gagultha Ashram CMI
- SABS (The Congregation of the sisters of the Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament) Convent.
- Kurialasserry Bhavan (SABS)
- Clara madhom & Orphanage for young girls, Kondakkal.
Other institutions under the Parish
- St. Mary's LP School
- St. Mary's High School
- St. Mary's Higher Secondary School Champakulam
- St. Joseph's Mission Hospital
- Altar Boys
- Thirubala sakhyam
- Yuva Deepti-K.C.Y.M
- Mathru Jyothis
- Pithru Vedi
- St.Vincent De Paul Society
- Darsana Smooham
- Choir Group
- "Champakulam Kalloorkkadu St Mary's Church- The Hidden Pearl in Nasrani History".
- "Archdiocese Of Changancherry".[permanent dead link]
- "Ancient Churches". Archived from the original on 2012-01-25. Retrieved 2012-01-19.
- "Ancient Churches with traditional dates of foundation & Stone Crosses of Kerala- Saint Thomas Cross, Nazraney Sthambams and other Persian Crosses".
- "St. Mary's Church, Kalloorkadu".[permanent dead link]
- "Church feast and festivals in Central Kerala-Kottayam".
- "Sisters of the Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament".
- "St.Mary's High School Champakulam".[permanent dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to St. Mary's Syro-Malabar Catholic Forane Church, Champakulam.|