Basilica of the Heart of Jesus, Zagreb
|Basilica of the Heart of Jesus|
Bazilika Srca Isusova
|Religious order||Society of Jesus|
|Consecrated||15 December 1902|
|Relics held||Tomb of blessed Ivan Merz|
|Groundbreaking||27 August 1901|
|Nave width||13.5 m|
|Nave height||20 m|
The Basilica of the Heart of Jesus (Croatian: Bazilika Srca Isusova) is a Roman Catholic basilica located in Palmotićeva street of Zagreb, Croatia. It is dedicated to the Sacred Heart, and was designed by the Croatian architect Janko Holjac in the neo-Baroque style.
The construction of the church is tied to the arrival of Jesuits in Zagreb in 1855. For this purpose, the archbishop Juraj Haulik gave a sum of 60,000 forints in 1860. However, political and economic conditions were not favorable for Haulik's idea, and it was revived four decades later by archbishop Juraj Posilović, who donated an additional sum of 12,000 forints. In 1898, a land parcel was bought for the construction of the church in the Palmotićeva street in the Lower town of Zagreb. The basilica of Heart of Jesus was finished and consecrated in 1902, with the construction itself taking slightly over a year. In 1941, the church received the status of minor basilica.
- Szabo 2002, Kupnja građevinskog zemljišta i početak gradnje Bazilike.
- Ugrin, Ivan (14 October 2002). "Simbol hrvatskih isusovaca". Slobodna Dalmacija (in Croatian). Retrieved 5 April 2018.
- "Zagreb - Palmotićeva". zg-nadbiskupija.hr (in Croatian). Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Zagreb. Retrieved 6 April 2018.
- "The Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus". infozagreb.hr. Zagreb Tourist Board. Retrieved 5 April 2018.
- Maruševski 1991, p. 345.
- Maruševski 1991, p. 342.
- Szabo 2002, Gradnja Bazilike.
- Szabo 2002.
- Maruševski, Olga (August 1991). "Bazilika Srca Isusova u Zagrebu" [The Basilica of the Heart of Jesus in Zagreb] (PDF). Obnovljeni život (in Croatian). 46 (3–4): 342–351. Retrieved 5 April 2018.
- Szabo, Agneza (2002). "Političke i crkvene okolnosti u doba gradnje Bazilike Srca Isusova u Zagrebu. Drugi dolazak Isusovaca u Zagreb" [Political and ecclesiastic condition in the time of building the Basilica of Sacred Heart of Jesus in Zagreb. The second arrival of the Jesuits in Zagreb]. Godišnjak Društva za povijest Zagrebačke Nadbiskupije Tkalčić (in Croatian) (6): 191–230. ISSN 1331-3517. Retrieved 5 April 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sacred Heart Basilica, Zagreb.|
- Official website (in Croatian)