Basilio Lami Dozo
|Basilio Lami Dozo|
|Birth name||Basilio Arturo Ignacio Lami Dozo|
1 February 1929|
Santiago del Estero, Argentina
|Died||1 February 2017
José C. Paz, Argentina
|Service/branch||Argentine Air Force|
(equivalent to 3-star or 4-star rank)
Brigadier General Basilio Arturo Ignacio Lami Dozo (1 February 1929 – 1 February 2017) was a member of the Argentine Air Force. He participated in the military dictatorship known as the National Reorganisation Process (1976–1983) and, along with Leopoldo Fortunato Galtieri and Jorge Isaac Anaya, was a member of the Third Military Junta that ruled Argentina between 1981 and 1982. Alongside Reynaldo Bignone and Omar Graffigna he was one of the last surviving members of the dictatorship.
In 1989 he was sentenced to an eight-year prison term in the criminal proceedings that arose from the 1982 Falklands War (Spanish: Guerra de las Malvinas), in which he had served as commander-in-chief of the Air Force. In 1990 he received a presidential pardon from Carlos Menem and was allowed to keep his military rank.
In 2003 the Spanish justice system sought his extradition in order to stand trial in Spain for crimes against humanity committed during the dictatorship. Initially the government of Spanish Prime Minister José María Aznar ruled the extradition inadmissible but, in 2005, the Supreme Court overturned that decision and ordered extradition proceedings to go ahead.
Basilio Lami Dozo Arturo Ignacio was born into a traditional family in the province of Santiago del Estero who are descendants of immigrants from Syria and Lebanon who came to the Republic of Argentina before the disappearance of the Ottoman Empire after the World War. He died on 1 February 2017, on his 88th birthday.
- "International Justice Tribune". International Justice Tribune. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
- "Anexo estadístico del informe al". Derechos.org. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
- Graham-Yooll, Andrew (1 January 2007). Buenos Aires, otoño 1982: la guerra de Malvinas según las crónicas de un corresponsal inglés (in Spanish). Marea Editorial. ISBN 9789871307098.
- "Murió Basilio Lami Dozo, integrante de la última dictadura". Página12 (in Spanish). 2 February 2017. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
- "Murió Basilio Lami Dozo, integrante de la junta militar durante la Guerra de Malvinas". Infobae (in Spanish). 2 February 2017. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Basilio Lami Dozo.|
- "La Corte, contra un pedido de Graffigna y Lami Dozo" Clarín, 13 April 2006
|Commander-in-Chief of the Argentine Air Force