Basket Case 2
|Basket Case 2|
|Directed by||Frank Henenlotter|
|Produced by||Edgar Ievins|
|Written by||Frank Henenlotter|
|Starring||Kevin Van Hentenryck|
|Music by||Joe Renzetti|
|Cinematography||Robert M. Baldwin|
|Edited by||Kevin Tent|
|Distributed by||Shapiro Glickenhaus Entertainment|
Having survived their fall at the end of the first film, Duane Bradley and his hideously deformed brother Belial are rescued from the hospital by an elderly woman named Ruth who, along with her beautiful granddaughter, are the caretakers of an extended family of similarly deformed individuals. When a snooping tabloid reporter and a sleazy photographer threaten to endanger the community's welfare, the two brothers join with the freaks to defend their privacy with a vengeance.
- Kevin Van Hentenryck as Duane Bradley
- Judy Grafe as News Woman
- Annie Ross as Granny Ruth
- Heather Rattray as Susan
- Beverly Bonner as Casey
- Chad Brown as News Man
- Leonard Jackson as Police Commissioner
Rotten Tomatoes, a review aggregator, reports that 67% of six surveyed critics gave the film a positive review; the average rating was 6.4/10. Variety called it "a hilarious genre spoof" that pays homage to Freaks. Caryn James of The New York Times wrote, "As cheap horror spoofs go, this one isn't all bad." Kevin Thomas of the Los Angeles Times wrote, "It has everything it needs to become the cult film that its 1982 predecessor has been: outrageous dark humor, bizarre horror, driving energy and genuine pathos."
From retrospective reviews, John Kenneth Muir wrote in his book Horror Films of the 1990s opined that Basket Case 2 was "disappointing" and that it "eschews all the qualities that made the down-and-dirty, low-budget original such a great pleasure."
This sequel was followed in 1991 by another sequel, Basket Case 3: The Progeny
- Gibron, Bill (2007-10-28). "Basket Case 2". DVD Talk. Retrieved 2014-09-18.
- "Basket Case 2 (1990)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2014-09-18.
- "Review: ‘Basket Case 2’". Variety. 1990. Retrieved 2014-09-18.
- James, Caryn (1990-03-02). "Belial and Other Oddities Return in 'Basket Case 2'". The New York Times. Retrieved 2014-09-18.
- Thomas, Kevin (1990-04-13). "MOVIE REVIEW : 'Basket Case 2' Has Makings of Cult Success". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2014-09-18.
- Muir 2011, p. 56.