|Managing Editor||John Akers|
|Publisher||Akers Ink LLC|
|First issue||October 1978|
|Based in||Matthews, North Carolina|
Basketball Times is an American basketball magazine that has been in circulation since 1978, and is published by Akers Ink LLC. Basketball Times publishes monthly and mainly focuses on college basketball. The headquarters is in Matthews, North Carolina.
Basketball Times was launched in October 1978, created by Jay Myers and financed by Edward Bomze. The magazine began as a weekly, during basketball season, that catered to the NBA as much as it did the college game. Basketball Times lasted about two years under Myers and Bomze. Larry Donald purchased Basketball Times in 1980.
While running Basketball Times, Donald was cited 19 times by the United States Basketball Writers Association in its annual writing contest. In 1998, he was presented the Curt Gowdy Award by the Basketball Hall of Fame for service to the sport over his career.
After Donald died of an apparent heart attack in November 2000, his wife Nanci continued to run Basketball Times. John Akers, the managing editor of BT from 2001–11, became publisher of Basketball Times in September 2011. Akers has won 18 USBWA writing awards.
‘Under the Radar’ -- Done annually for the past five seasons, every projected Division I starter is run through an efficiency rating known as the "Larry Bird formula" - a plus/minus system of positive and negative statistics - and takes note of those players who jump out unexpectedly. They then run those players through another filter - testing their efficiency again, but against better teams - before making final decisions.
Basketball Times Players of the Year:
- 2017 - Caleb Swanigan, Purdue
- 2016 - Denzel Valentine, Michigan State
- 2015 - Frank Kaminsky, Wisconsin
- 2014 - Doug McDermott, Creighton
- 2013 - Otto Porter, Georgetown
- 2012 - Anthony Davis, Kentucky
- 2011 - Jimmer Fredette, BYU
- 2010 - Evan Turner, Ohio State
- 2009 - Blake Griffin, Oklahoma
- 2008 - Tyler Hansbrough, North Carolina
- 2007 - Kevin Durant, Texas
- 2006 - Adam Morrison, Gonzaga, J.J. Redick, Duke
- 2005 - Andrew Bogut, Utah
- 2004 - Jameer Nelson, Saint Joseph’s
- 2003 - David West, Xavier
- 2002 - Jason Williams, Duke
- 2001 - Shane Battier, Duke
- 2000 - Kenyon Martin, Cincinnati
- 1999 - Jason Terry, Arizona
- 1998 - Antawn Jamison, North Carolina
- 1997 - Tim Duncan, Wake Forest
- 1996 - Marcus Camby, Massachusetts
- 1995 - Ed O'Bannon, UCLA
- 1994 - Glenn Robinson, Purdue
- 1993 - Jamal Mashburn, Kentucky
- 1992 - Christian Laettner, Duke
- 1991 - Larry Johnson, UNLV
- 1990 - Derrick Coleman, Syracuse
- 1989 - Sean Elliott, Arizona
- 1988 - Hersey Hawkins, Bradley
- 1987 - Kenny Smith, North Carolina
- 1986 - Scott Skiles, Michigan State
- 1985 - Patrick Ewing, Georgetown
- 1984 - Akeem Olajuwon, Houston
- 1983 - Ralph Sampson, Virginia
- 1982 - Ralph Sampson, Virginia
Basketball Times Coaches of the Year:
- 2017 - Scott Drew, Baylor
- 2016 - Chris Mack, Xavier
- 2015 - John Calipari, Kentucky
- 2014 - Gregg Marshall, Wichita State
- 2013 - Frank Haith, Missouri
- 2012 - Steve Prohm, Murray State
- 2011 - Mike Brey, Notre Dame
- 2010 - Jim Boeheim, Syracuse
- 2009 - Leonard Hamilton, Florida State
- 2008 - Keno Davis, Drake
- 2007 - Tony Bennett, Washington State
- 2006 - Bruce Pearl, Tennessee
- 2005 - Bruce Weber, Illinois
- 2004 - Mike Montgomery, Stanford
- 2003 - Tubby Smith, Kentucky
- 2002 - Bob Knight, Texas Tech
- 2001 - Al Skinner, Boston College
- 2000 - Mike Montgomery, Stanford
- 1999 - Tom Izzo, Michigan State
- 1998 - Bob Huggins, Cincinnati
- 1997 - Mike Krzyzewski, Duke
- 1996 - John Calipari, Massachusetts
- 1995 - Eddie Sutton, Oklahoma State
- 1994 - Norm Stewart, Missouri
- 1993 - Dean Smith, North Carolina
- 1992 - Steve Fisher, Michigan
- 1991 - Rick Majerus, Utah
- 1990 - Rick Pitino, Kentucky
- 1989 - Bob Knight, Indiana
- 1988 - Lute Olson, Arizona
- 1987 - Wimp Sanderson, Alabama
- 1986 - Mike Krzyzewski, Duke
- 1985 - Bobby Cremins, Georgia Tech
- 1984 - Jerry Tarkanian, UNLV
- 1983 - Lou Carnesecca, St. John’s
- 1982 - Gale Catlett, West Virginia
Writers and Editors
Editors and Contributors for Basketball Times have included:
- Larry Donald (founder)
- John Akers (publisher)
- Dick “Hoops” Weiss
- Bob Ryan
- Rick Bozich
- Wendy Parker
- Dick Vitale
- Mike Sheridan
- "Contact Us". Basketball Times. Archived from the original on March 13, 2016. Retrieved February 16, 2016.
- "Longtime publisher of Basketball Times dead at 55". Sports Illustrated. November 17, 2000. Retrieved October 12, 2008.
- "The Real Voice of Collegiate Basketball". Basketball Times. Archived from the original on September 8, 2008. Retrieved October 12, 2008.
- "Dukes Named Basketball Times national team 'Under the Radar' : Forward Kieron Achara on cover of October 2007 issue". CSTV. Retrieved October 12, 2008.
- "Swanigan Named Basketball Times POY". March 17, 2017. Retrieved March 20, 2017.
- "Michigan State's Denzel Valentine wins player of the year honors from Basketball Times". March 24, 2016. Retrieved March 20, 2017.
- "Porter Jr. Named Basketball Times National Player of the Year". Georgetown Hoyas. March 26, 2013. Retrieved April 3, 2012.
- "Davis Named Basketball Times Player of The Year". Archived from the original on 27 January 2013. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Basketball Times". Archived from the original on March 26, 2011. Retrieved March 21, 2011.
- Ohio State's Turner Named Big Ten Male Athlete Of Year[permanent dead link], Retrieved May 1, 2011
- "Xavier's Mack earns another national Coach of the Year honor". March 17, 2016. Retrieved March 20, 2017.