Basque Center for Applied Mathematics
|Motto||Matematika mugaz bestalde Mathematics beyond frontiers|
|Established||September 1, 2008|
|Director||Luis Vega González|
|Location||Bilbao, Basque Country, Spain|
The Basque Center of Applied Mathematics (BCAM) is a research center on applied mathematics, created with the support of the Basque Government and the University of the Basque Country. The BCAM headquarters are in Alda. Mazarredo, 14 in Bilbao, the capital of the province of Biscay in the Basque Country of northern Spain.
In January 2007, the Department of Education, Universities and Research of the Basque Government  set up Ikerbasque, the Basque Foundation for Science, which was charged with three objectives: the attraction and recovery of front-rank, consolidated researchers; the creation of new research centers with standards of excellence, and social outreach for science. The creation and current activity of BCAM – the Basque Center for Applied Mathematics - fall within the framework of the second of these objectives.
In early 2008, Ikerbasque commissioned Enrique Zuazua to carry out a prospective study on the viability of setting up a center for mathematical research in the Basque Country. In March, 2008, the Ikerbasque Board of Trustees decided to go ahead with the creation of such a center as part of the BERC program (Basque Excellent Research Centres), later to become known as BCAM – Basque Center for Applied Mathematics. At the same time, the first international call for submissions for posts of director, managers and scientists was made.
The center is located in the province of Biscay, given the extensive industrial fabric that the region has had traditionally as well as its current development of R+D+i activities. BCAM was officially created as a non-profit Association on September 1, 2008, and backed by the following three institutions: Ikerbasque, the University of the Basque Country (UPV-EHU), Innobasque, the Basque Foundation for Innovation and The Biscay Government.
Scientific Directors of BCAM till today
- Luis Vega González - In charge, from May 8, 2013.
- Tomás Chacón, from October 1, 2012 till March 10, 2013.
- Enrique Zuazua, from September 1, 2008 till July 31, 2012.
- PDE - Partial Differential Equations, Numerics and Control: The objective is to develop numerical methods allowing us to mimic and reproduce the fine qualitative properties of solutions to partial differential equations with design and control applications in mind.
- NET - Networks: Improve the telecommunication networks and computer systems by analyzing, designing and evaluation their performance using stochastic processes, queuing, scheduling and game theories.
- CM - Computational Mathematics: Design, analyze, implement and optimize numerical schemes for mathematical models arising from real-life applications.
- CVE - Calculus of Variations and Elasticity: Study variational models in elastostatics to describe the behaviour of materials that are mainly elastic but also exhibit cavitations, fracture or genuinely atomistic phenomena.
- MBMS - Mathematical Biology Molecular Simulation: Developing and applying qualitative theory for integral equations, we analyze the stability and bifurcation behaviour of populations. We combine numerical continuation methods with numerical integration to approximate equilibrium curves and stability boundaries.
- Analysis and Control of Low Dimensional Nanostructures in Coupled Magneto-Electromechanical Fields
- Control in Fluids and Quantum Mechanics
- Computational in Fluids Dynamics
- Dispersive evolution equations and numerics
- Financial Mathematics
- Kinetic Equations
- Moving Finite Elements and Wave Energy