Basra International Airport
|Basrah International Airport|
مطار البصرة الدولي
Maṭār al-Baṣrah al-Duwalī
|Hub for||Iraqi Airways|
|Elevation AMSL||11 ft / 3 m|
The airport was built in the 1980s and then developed in the 1980s by the Iraqi Government department State Organisation for Roads and Bridges (SORB) as a gateway to the only port in Iraq. This second phase of development was completed by a joint venture comprising Strabag Bau AG of Cologne, Billfinger & Berger of Manheim both in Germany and Universale of Austria in Spring 1988. It is claimed that the airport was built only as a facility for VIPs and was only used rarely.
Renovation and military use
Renovation of the airport was supposed to proceed with the construction of a new terminal under German contract but the project prematurely ceased with the outbreak of the 1991 Gulf War. Actual development proceeded in the airport only after the 2003 invasion of Iraq. Some facilities were refurbished under a contract by United States Agency for International Development. The project is broad as it includes building air traffic control towers and other navigational facilities, as well as the construction of transportation and communications facilities.
The airport was eventually reopened in June 2004. The event was marked by the traditional sheep sacrifice as an Iraqi Airways Boeing 727 jet landed from Baghdad. It was the beginning of a new domestic service in Iraq between Baghdad and Basrah. However, many of the passengers complained about the lack of basic facilities. Problems included air conditioning and toilets.
- Hawker Siddeley Nimrod MR.2s
- Lockheed Martin C-130J Super Hercules C.4 & C.5s
- British Aerospace 125s
- Boeing Chinook HC.2s
- Westland Sea King HC.4s
- Westland Lynx AH.7/AH.9s
- Westland Gazelle AH.1s
- Westland Puma HC.1s
- Westland Merlin HC.3s
The United States army has also deployed a number of aircraft to Basra irregularly:
The Danish Air Force also deployed some aircraft:
Airlines and destinations
Following the American control and since 2002, SkyLink Arabia has been providing ground operations and fuel supply at the airport. In 2014 Group holding services with its subsidiary Basra ground handling services company with the partnership of Iraq airways took over the ground handling operations at the airport.
- "903 Expeditionary Air Wing". Royal Air Force. Retrieved 21 October 2014.
- 2018, UBM (UK) Ltd. "AtlasGlobal Expands Iraq Service from Sep 2015".
- chamwings.com - Where we fly retrieved 9 September 2018
- squirrellabs. "Cloud Gateway Error page". www.ia.gov.iq.
- "Iraqi Airways Opens Regular Seasonal Flight To Minsk - BelarusFeed". 21 January 2017.
- 2018, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Turkish Airlines Adds Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen – Basra Service from Mar 2016".
- "Home - SKA International Group". Ska-arabia.com. Retrieved 2018-08-22.
- Airport information for ORMM at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.