Bass Drum of Death
|Bass Drum of Death|
Bass Drum of Death performing in 2014.
|Origin||Oxford, Mississippi, USA|
|Genres||Garage rock, lo-fi|
|Website||Bass Drum of Death|
|Past members||Colin Sneed|
Bass Drum of Death is an American garage rock band from Oxford, Mississippi signed to Innovative Leisure Records. The band's frontman, John Barrett, formed Bass Drum of Death in 2008 as a one-man-band, playing both his bass drum and guitar. Since then, the touring band now consists of two guitarists and a drummer. Barrett, however, recorded their first two albums by himself. Their debut LP, GB City, was released on April 12, 2011 by Fat Possum Records. Inflated Records also distributed the vinyl edition. In April 2011, Bass Drum of Death performed live on Fuel TV with MellowHype, of OFWGKTA, playing the song "64". Their song, 'Get Found', has been aired on Triple J, an Australian alternative music radio station, and the group played the station's 2012 New Beginning's Festival. In addition, Bass Drum of Death has performed at the Rock en Seine Festival in France.
From the time of their inception, Bass Drum of Death has toured the United States and Europe extensively. In August 2014, the band performed in Brazil for the first time.
In early 2013, the band was signed to Innovative Leisure Records. In two consecutive years, they released two full-length albums. On June 25, 2013, they released an eponymous album and, on October 7, 2014, they released Rip This, which featured drummer Len Clark as a new collaborative band member.
In May 2015, John Barrett announced through the band's social media accounts, that Bass Drum of Death would be going on a hiatus citing "personal issues", canceling their scheduled summer tour of Europe in the process.
On September 5, 2015, the band played the Made in America festival in Philadelphia, which was also seen on webcast.
In other media
- Their song "Velvet Itch", off GB City, was heard in the 2012 movie Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
- Their song "Get Found" Is a featured track on MLB 2K12.
- Their song "Nerve Jamming" was used in an episode of BBC's Waterloo Road.
- Their song "Way Out" was used in an episode of The CW's The Vampire Diaries.
- Other songs have been featured in ads for H&M clothing and NASCAR.
- The soundtrack for the video game Forza Horizon 2 features "Crawling After You", "Electric", "Lose My Mind", and "Everything's the Same".
- The soundtrack for the video game GTA:V features "Crawling After You".
- Their song "I Wanna Be Forgotten" was used in Thrasher Magazine's "King Of The Road"
- Their song "I Wanna Be Forgotten" was used during the credits of the video game Sunset Overdrive. They also contributed three original songs to the score.
- Their song "Nerve Jamming" was used during a television advertisement for men's clothing company Jacamo
- Stain Stick Skin (2008)
- High School Roaches (2010)
- New Batch of Debuts, With ’80s Forebears. The New York Times, February 3, 2011
- Album Review: Bass Drum Of Death – GB City. Consequence of Sound
- Interview, Blare Magazine
- Review, GB City. AV Club
- Band Website
- Fat Possum Label Page