Bass Pro Shops
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Bass Pro Shops|
Number of locations
|177 (including 82 Cabela's)|
|John Morris Founder and CEO |
James (Jim) Hagale President & COO
|Products||Hunting, fishing, and outdoor merchandise|
|Revenue||US$ 8 billion (2018)|
Number of employees
|Subsidiaries||Cabela's, White River Marine Group|
BPS Direct, LLC (doing business as Bass Pro Shops) is an American privately held retailer of hunting, fishing, camping and related outdoor recreation merchandise. Bass Pro Shops supports and sells merchandise for the National Audubon Society.
In 1995, Bass Pro Shops Sportsman's Warehouse opened in Atlanta, Georgia, its first store outside the state of Missouri. In November 2001, taking advantage of Outdoor World's popularity as a tourist destination, the Wonders of Wildlife museum was opened next door to the store in Springfield. The Wonders of Wildlife Museum & Aquarium closed for renovation in 2007. Bass Pro Shops has announced that the grand reopening of the Wonders of Wildlife museum took place on September 21, 2017.
In September 2017, Bass Pro Shops acquired Cabela's for $5.5 billion. The deal was financed via preferred equity financing from Goldman Sachs and Pamplona. Goldman Sachs contributed $1.8 billion towards financing and Pamplona contributed the remainder for a total commitment of $2.4 billion.
Bass Pro Shops has 200 existing stores in the United States as well as Canada (specifically the western provinces and southern Ontario). The store sizes range from 20,000 square feet (1,900 m2) up to 535,000 square feet (49,700 m2). The largest flagship stores are known as Outdoor World stores. The largest store location in the United States is located in Springfield, Mo. The decor of the stores includes taxidermy mounts native to the local area. All stores have an indoor water feature that showcases fish species that are indigenous to the area. The fish in their tanks are game fish of great size. In some of these aquariums, professional anglers and store pro-staff hold demonstrations showing the use of an artificial bait. They catch the fish in these tanks to show how well the bait works. Bass Pro Shops is also known for its Outdoor Skills Workshops, teaching skills as varied as fly fishing, Dutch oven cooking, archery hunting with an archery range in the store, and GPS navigation. They hold many skills workshops with the top names in the outdoor world.
The Rancho Cucamonga, California Outdoor World store is used for the exterior shots of the fictional "Outdoor Man" store in the ABC sitcom Last Man Standing, starring Tim Allen, that premiered in 2011. Camera crews have also visited the store several times to film interior shots.
NRA National Sporting Arms Museum
After nearly a decade of work by the NRA and Bass Pro Shops, the NRA National Sporting Arms Museum opened in the flagship store in Springfield, Missouri on August 2, 2013. It showcases almost 1,000 sporting artifacts from the 1600s to today, including some historically significant firearms from the NRA Museum Collection. The museum will host firearms and artwork from the Remington Arms Company factory collection, a multimillion-dollar collection of U.S. military sidearms, engraved Colt revolvers of the American frontier, the guns of Annie Oakley and firearms of U.S. Presidents like Teddy Roosevelt and Dwight Eisenhower.
Affiliation with NASCAR
Bass Pro Shops also owns White River Marine Group which manufactures and distributes boats under the brand names Ranger, Nitro, Triton, Tahoe, Tracker, Sun Tracker, Regency, Mako, and Ascend.
- "#45 Bass Pro Shops". Forbes. Retrieved December 20, 2018.
- "About Us - The story of Bass Pro Shops". Basspro.com. October 25, 2012. Retrieved July 29, 2015.
- Bear, David (June 12, 2011). "When flooding washes out an Ozark fishing trip, we tackle Big Cedar Resort and the Bass Pro Shops". post-gazette.com. Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved June 12, 2011.
- "Home - Wonders of Wildlife - Springfield, Missouri". Wonders of Wildlife. Retrieved June 23, 2015.
- Funk, Josh (September 26, 2017). "Bass Pro completes $4 billion acquisition of Cabela's". USA Today. Associated Press.
- "Outdoor view of Outdoor Man looks familiar". Dailybulletin.com. Archived from the original on July 28, 2013. Retrieved February 23, 2014.
- "NRA opens Midwest museum showing nearly 1,000 firearms". Reuters. Archived from the original on August 3, 2013. Retrieved August 3, 2013.
- "Ryan Truex Returns to Turner Scott Motorsports for NCWTS Race at Daytona". SpeedwayMedia. Turner Scott Motorsports. February 10, 2014. Retrieved February 10, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bass Pro Shops.|