Basshunter singing at a concert in Halmstad, 20 April 2008
|Birth name||Jonas Erik Altberg|
22 December 1984 |
Halmstad, Halland, Sweden
|Genres||Eurodance, techno, trance, electronic dance music, electro, pop|
|Occupation(s)||Singer-songwriter, producer, DJ|
|Instruments||Vocals, synthesizers, vocoder, sequencer, FL Studio|
|Labels||Extensive Music, Warner Music Sweden, Ultra, Broma 16, Warner Music Japan, 3 Beat Records, Dance Nation, Warner Music Germany, Alex Music|
Jonas Erik Altberg (born 22 December 1984), better known by his stage name Basshunter // is a Swedish singer-songwriter, record producer, and DJ. He is best known for his number one hits "Boten Anna", "Vi sitter i Ventrilo och spelar DotA", "Now You're Gone", and "All I Ever Wanted". Basshunter has released six albums, two of which have been released in the United Kingdom. His UK single, "Saturday", was released in July 2010. He also competed in Celebrity Big Brother in January 2010.
- 1 Life and career
- 1.1 Early life and career beginnings
- 1.2 2006–2008: LOL <(^^,)>
- 1.3 2007–2009: Now You're Gone – The Album
- 1.4 2009: Bass Generation
- 1.5 2010–2013: Calling Time and The Early Bedroom Sessions
- 1.6 From 2013: "Elinor" and next album
- 1.7 Other public activities
- 1.8 Alleged sexual assault
- 2 Music
- 3 Awards and nominations
- 4 Discography
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Life and career
Early life and career beginnings
Jonas Altberg was born in Halmstad and lived with his parents, Karl Göran Altberg and Gunn-hild Elisabet Altberg, and younger brother, Joakim, near Tylösand beach. He began producing music under the stage name "Basshunter" in 2001, after six months of using Fruity Loops.
His first album, The Bassmachine, was released by Alex Music in 2004. In 2006, Basshunter released The Bassmachine and The Old Shit through his own web site. After that, he started working as a DJ.
2006–2008: LOL <(^^,)>
Basshunter's debut studio album, LOL <(^^,)>, was released on 1 September 2006 through Warner Music. A Christmas/International edition was released on 22 December 2006, with the same Swedish songs from the original album, but with names translated into English, and in a slightly different track order. It was also released with bonus tracks, including the never-before-released "Jingle Bells". The song "Sverige" and an extended version of "Vi sitter i Ventrilo och spelar DotA" were omitted from the album when the red cover version was released.
2007–2009: Now You're Gone – The Album
Throughout 2007, Basshunter worked on his second studio album, titled Now You're Gone – The Album. In December 2007, he released a re-recording "Boten Anna" entitled "Now You're Gone," featuring entirely re-written lyrics to appeal to a foreign market. The song charted at number one on the UK Singles Chart and stayed there for five weeks. Album was released on 14 July 2008. The album features English remakes of his older songs, and entered the UK Albums Chart at number one. Additionally, the album sold an excess 300,000 copies in the U.K., making it certified Platinum. In New Zealand, the album peaked at number one in its fifth week, and was certified Gold, and later Platinum, selling over 20,000 copies. The album spent a total of two weeks at number one.
A special edition of the album was released called Now You're Gone - The Album: Deluxe Edition on 5 April 2009. This featured all the content of the original album plus new remixes of "I Miss You" and "Angel in the Night" by Headhunters, along with a 7th Heaven remix of "Walk on Water" and a mega-mix of his first four singles.
2009: Bass Generation
His third studio album, Bass Generation, was released on 28 September 2009. In early September 2009, before the album was released, the song "Numbers" was released to the public as a free download via Basshunter's official Bebo profile. The album release date was eventually moved up a week for unknown reasons to 28 September 2009, along with the single "Every Morning," which was released on 21 September 2009. To promote the album, the Basshunter Album Artwork Competition was set up on 10 August 2009 in which fans designed and uploaded their own cover art for the Bass Generation album to Basshunter's Bebo profile, with the winner being awarded their signed, framed artwork presented by Basshunter at the Bass Generation Tour. The winning entry was revealed on 11 September. Basshunter also set out on the Bass Generation Tour in October 2009 in support of the album. The second single, "I Promised Myself", was released on 30 November 2009.
2010–2013: Calling Time and The Early Bedroom Sessions
On 14 May 2010, it was announced that the first single from Basshunter's from his fourth studio album, "Saturday," would have a worldwide premiere live on BBC Radio 1 with Scott Mills that night. The track was co-written by Thomas Troelsen, Engelina, and Cutfather, and produced by Troelsen and Cutfather. The melody of the song is based on Reel 2 Real's "I Like to Move It." Basshunter performed "Saturday" on 4 July 2010 as part of T4 on the Beach, as well as performing it on Big Brother's Little Brother on 3 July 2010.
In April 2011, Basshunter entered the Swedish Big Brother house to produce a song along with the remaining housemates. Additionally, a new song entitled "Calling Time", was recently performed live in Magaluf. Also June 2011 Basshunter exclusive to Den Glade Viking club in Sunny Beach as he performs "Dream on the Dancefloor" for the first time.
On 9 April 2012, Basshunter stated on his official Twitter page that his new single is to be titled "Northern Light" and will be released in August. At midnight on 27 April 2012, Basshunter linked the music video for "Northern Light" on his Facebook page. On 29 September 2012, Basshunter linked the music video for his single, "Dream on the Dancefloor" on his Facebook page.
The Early Bedroom Sessions include The Old Shit, The Bassmachine and demo songs has been released on 4 December 2012. On 5 March 2013 Basshunter posted a link on his Facebook page to two new songs from his new album in addition to a demo of a third.
From 2013: "Elinor" and next album
Other public activities
Alleged sexual assault
On 15 December 2010, Basshunter was charged by police over an alleged sexual assault on two female fans at a gig at a nightclub in Fife, Scotland. He was released on bail and returned to Sweden. His manager has insisted at the time that the allegations were "totally untrue". Attending a hearing at Kirkcaldy Sheriff court on 12 January 2011, Basshunter denied two charges of sexual assault against two women. The defendants alleged that he grabbed the first by the hair and pushed her head toward his groin, while the second he pushed toward his groin and then bent over. He was further accused of pulling up the second woman's skirt. On 14 June 2011, he was found not guilty at Kircaldy Sheriff court with the sheriff describing the two accusers as "neither credible or reliable" and their testimony as "riddled with inconsistencies and improbabilities".
Awards and nominations
|2006||Grammis||Årets bästa ringsignal ("Boten Anna")||Won|
|Rockbjörnen||Årets svenska låt||Nominated|
|Årets svenska nykomling||Nominated|
|Eurodanceweb Award||"Boten Anna"||Won|
|2007||NRJ Music Award||Won|
|2008||European Border Breakers Award||LOL <(^^,)>||Won|
|Eska Music Award||Radioaktywny hit roku Era ("Now You're Gone")||Won|
|BT Digital Music Award||Best Electronic Artist or DJ||Nominated|
|Breakthrough Artist of the Year||Nominated|
|MTV Europe Music Award||Best New Act||Nominated|
|Most Addictive Track||Nominated|
|The Record of the Year||Now You're Gone||Nominated|
|World Music Award||World's Best Selling Swedish Artist||Won|
|2009||Scandipop Award||Best Male||Won|
|2010||International Dance Music Award||Best HiNRG/Euro Track ("Every Morning")||Nominated|
|2011||Scandipop Award||Best Male Single ("Saturday")||Nominated|
- "Bio Basshunter". Basshunter.se. Retrieved 2010-12-30.
- "Basshunter – LOL <(^^,)>". discogs.com. Retrieved 2015-11-06.
- "Latest Gold / Platinum Albums". radioscope.net.nz. Archived from the original on 2011-07-28. Retrieved 2014-12-23.
- Scott Kara (2009-09-17). "It's a Swede life for Basshunter". nzherald.co.nz. Retrieved 2014-12-23.
- Markus Larsson (2009-10-06). "Bast nar skivan ar slut". aftonbladet.se. Retrieved 2010-12-30.
- Dolphin, David (1 May 2009). "Jonas Erik Altberg (Basshunter) Interview" (Text & Audio). pf.csn.ul.ie. Retrieved 2009-05-04.
-  Archived 13 December 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- "Hitmakaren Jonas: De ville göra narr av mig".
- Joo, Nathalie (11 June 2006). "Swedish Superstar's mess tummy problems". expressen.se. Retrieved 2006-09-27.
- "Dance Nation | Basshunter - 'Saturday'". mydancenation.com. 2010-05-18. Archived from the original on 26 May 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-23.
- "Basshunter in i "Big brother"-huset". dn.se. 2011-04-08. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- "NORTHERN LIGHT !!! OFFICIAL VIDEO !! !OUT NOW !!!!!". facebook.com. 2012-04-27. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- "Basshunter - Northern Light (Official Video)". youtube.com. 2012-04-27. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- "Here it is, my NEW VIDEO!!!!". facebook.com. 2012-09-29. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- "Basshunter - Dream on the Dancefloor (Official Video)". youtube.com. 2012-09-28. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- "Just started producing a new Album, what u guys think, old school or mainstream?". facebook.com. 2014-11-25. Retrieved 2015-12-02.
- Jessica Balksjö, Torbjörn Ek (2010-01-29). "Basshunter utröstad i Big Brother-finalen" (in Swedish). aftonbladet.se. Retrieved 2015-11-17.
- "BBC News: Basshunter music star on sex attack charges". bbc.co.uk. 14 December 2010. Retrieved 2010-12-30.
- "BBC News: Basshunter music star denies sex attack charges". bbc.co.uk. 12 January 2011. Retrieved 2011-01-18.
- "DJ Basshunter cleared of Kirkcaldy club sex charges". bbc.co.uk. 14 June 2011. Retrieved 14 June 2011.
- "DJ cleared of nightclub sexual assault charges". Daily Telegraph. 15 June 2011. p. 2.
- "Basshunter: 'I'm a legend'". news.bbc.co.uk. 2008-07-25. Retrieved 2015-11-17.
- "18 sierpnia 2010". tvp.pl. Archived from the original on 2012-11-04. Retrieved 2011-02-05.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Basshunter.|
- Official website
- Basshunter on Facebook
- Basshunter on Twitter
- Basshunter on VK
- on 's channelYouTube
- Basshunter on SoundCloud
- Artist site at Ultra Music