Marlon Flohr (left) and Ralph van Hilst
|Members||Marlon Flohr |
Ralph van Hilst
Bassjackers is a Dutch electronic music production and DJ duo consisting of Marlon Flohr & Ralph van Hilst. Flohr is the more outspoken member of the duo whereas Van Hilst takes care of "behind-the-scenes" production.
The pair's electro house tracks, including "Savior", "Crackin" and "Wave Your Hands", reached the Beatport top 100. They are best known for their 2013 the single, "Crackin". They rank at 35th on DJ Mag's Top 100 DJs of 2017. Bassjackers have released their tracks on labels Spinnin' Records, Revealed Recordings and Smash The House.
Flohr and Van Hilst were friends in high school, where they formed Bassjackers in 2007. The duo began performing together, with Flohr as the showman and Van Hilst more involved in "behind-the-scenes" production.
First successes and recording contract (2010-2012)
In 2011, the single "Mush Mush" appeared on Beatport. The track was more successful than their earlier singles and reached the top 10 of the Beatport charts for a period of over two months. It was played by DJs Hardwell, Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike and the Swedish House Mafia in their sets.
In 2012 the duo performed at a number of festivals and began to tour the United States. Their first large concert appearance was at the Ultra Music Festival in Miami. At the EDC Vegas they played their track "Mush Mush", as well as their next planned single "Hey", a collaboration with the Dutch DJ duo Showtek. The release was postponed and the publication of their Angger Dimas collaboration went on. The single "RIA" was published in March through Sander van Doorn's label Doorn Records. A few months later, in August, they released together with Yves V the single "Bronx" through Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike's label Smash the House. The duo made the song "Let's Get Weird" available for free download.
Their collaboration with DJ and producer Dyro was their first release in 2013. The single was released in February under the title "Grid". It followed the track "Duckface", a collaboration with Kenneth G.
On July 15, 2013 they published "Raise Those Hands" together with R3hab through Calvin Harris' label Fly Eye Records. The duo's performance of "Raise Those Hands" with R3hab at the Electric Daisy Carnival Las Vegas was included in the official music video. It was followed in July by their first appearance at the largest EDM festival, Tomorrowland, in Belgium. Their next single was "Flag", a collaboration with Gregori. In the fall of 2013, they started working in the studio with Martin Garrix who just released his breakthrough hit, "Animals". The single "Gamer", their first collaboration, was released on November 4, 2013 through Spinnin' Records.
On January 20, 2014, the next collaboration titled "Crackin" followed. This single soon became their most successful track. Crackin' appeared in two variations, firstly in a Bassjackers version and in a Martin Garrix remix version. The Bassjackers version was provided for free download while Garrix's version came in second of the Beatport charts as actual single version for a long time and thus represents the first peak position of the duo. They even made an entry in the Dutch singles chart. The official music video reached over 15 million views on Spinnin' TV.
Genre exchange and collaborations with DJs (2014-2015)
On February 10, 2014, the track "Battle" was released in cooperation with the Dutch DJ and producer Jordy Dazz through Doorn Records. As follow-up single, a collaboration with the producer MAKJ was released. The track is titled "Derp" and differs slightly in style compared to the previous track. The single "Rampage", another collaboration with Kenneth G, was released on August 15, 2014 through Hardwell's label Revealed Recordings.
On October 17, 2014 Bassjackers published another solo single titled "Savior". Together with Dyro they produced the single "X" which was released on December 15, 2014, with "Wave Your Hands" followed as their first track in 2015 a collaboration with Thomas Newson. The single "Wave Your Hands" became their first number one hit on Beatport.
On February 20, 2015 Afrojack played "What We Live For" for the first time at Ultra Music Festival Argentina, a collaboration between him and Bassjackers. The single "Alamo", which a collaboration with the Dutch DJ and producer Brooks, was released on May 25, 2015 through Showtek's label Skink. That year the group released a single, "Memories" with KSHMR, in the middle of a tour in the US and Canada. They also had their first collaboration with Hardstyle DJ and producer Coone, called "Sound Barrier".
Awards and nominations
|2015||DJ Mag||Bassjackers||Top 100 DJs||39|
|2016||Top 100 DJs||34|
|2017||Top 100 DJs||35|
- "BASSJACKERS: Information". The DJ List.
- "Sunburn Goa 2015: Day 3 was owned by Martin Garrix and Bassjackers". Radio and Music, 30 Dec 2015
- "Bassjackers - Beatport Top Tracker". Beatport Top Tracker.
- "Poll 2016: Bassjackers". DJMag.
- "Ultra Music Festival 2012 - Lineup". Ultra Music Festival. Retrieved 18 November 2016.
- "RIA (Original Mix) by Bassjackers, Angger Dimas on Beatport". www.beatport.com. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- "Bronx (Original Mix) by Bassjackers, Yves V on Beatport". www.beatport.com. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- "Grid (Original Mix) by Bassjackers, Dyro on Beatport". www.beatport.com. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- "Duckface (Original Mix) by Bassjackers, Kenneth G on Beatport". www.beatport.com. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- "Bassjackers, R3hab New Releases: Raise Those Hands on Beatport". www.beatport.com. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- R3HAB (2013-07-15), R3hab & Bassjackers - Raise Those Hands (Official Video), retrieved 2018-08-14
- "Bassjackers Tracklists / Playlists Overview ⋅ 1001 Tracklists". 1001 Tracklists.
- "Gregori Klosman & Bassjackers - Flag (Original Mix) - Dancing Astronaut". www.dancingastronaut.com. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- "Gamer (Original Mix) by Bassjackers, GRX on Beatport". www.beatport.com. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- "Martin Garrix's Edit of Bassjackers' 'Crackin': Exclusive CODE Song Premiere". Billboard. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- Spinnin' Records (2014-01-20), Bassjackers - Crackin (Martin Garrix Edit) [Official Video], retrieved 2018-08-14
- "Battle (Original Mix) by Bassjackers, Jordy Dazz on Beatport". www.beatport.com. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- "Derp (Original Mix) by Bassjackers, MAKJ on Beatport". www.beatport.com. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- "Bassjackers, Kenneth G New Releases: Rampage on Beatport". www.beatport.com. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- "Savior (Original Mix) by Bassjackers on Beatport". www.beatport.com. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- "X (Original Mix) by Bassjackers, Dyro on Beatport". www.beatport.com. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- "Bassjackers, Thomas Newson New Releases: Wave Your Hands on Beatport". www.beatport.com. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- "What We Live For - Single by Bassjackers & Afrojack on Apple Music". iTunes. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- "Bassjackers, Brooks (NL) New Releases: Alamo on Beatport". www.beatport.com. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- Kat Bein (October 21, 2016). "KSHMR & Bassjackers Take Fun to the 'Extreme' on Latest Collaboration: Exclusive". Billboard.
- "DJ Snake Slithers Into Surrender, Bassjackers Flip the Switch at Light". Vegan Seven, October 21, 2015 by Ian Caramanzana
- "Sound Barrier (Original Mix) by Coone, Bassjackers, GLDY LX on Beatport". www.beatport.com. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- "Poll 2016: Bassjackers". DJMag.com. Retrieved 2017-11-10.