The main street
|Intercommunality||Canton de Navarrenx|
|• Mayor (2014–2020)||Thierry Gère|
|Area1||5.26 km2 (2.03 sq mi)|
|• Density||19/km2 (50/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||64099 /64190|
|Elevation||99–265 m (325–869 ft)
(avg. 135 m or 443 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
Bastanès is in the former province of Béarn some 12 km east by south-east of Sauveterre-de-Béarn and some 13 km south of Orthez. Access to the commune is by the D947 road from Loubieng in the north which passes south-east through the western part of the commune and the village and continues south-east to Navarrenx. The D27 branches off the D947 near the village and goes north-west to Bugnein. The commune is mainly farmland in the south-west with the rest mixed forest and farmland.
The Gave d'Oloron forms the south-western border of the commune as it flows north-west to join the Gave de Pau at Peyrehorade. The Saleys river forms the north-eastern border of the commune as it flows north-west to eventually join the Gave d'Oloron east of Saint-Pé-de-Léren. The Barthes stream rises just east of the village and flows north-west to join the Gave d'Oloron at Audaux. The Hérre river rises in the east of the commune and flows north-west to join the Saleys east of Castetbon.
- Les Barthes
- Bernadou (ruins)
- Les Camous
- Les Coustères
- La Hittau
- Le Moulin
- La Plaine
The following table details the origins of the commune name and other names in the commune.
|Sanctus Laurentius de Bastanès||1608||Raymond||
|Bastanez||1801||Ldh/EHESS/Cassini||Bulletin des Lois|
- Raymond: Topographic Dictionary of the Department of Basses-Pyrenees, 1863, on the page numbers indicated in the table. (French)
- Grosclaude: Toponymic Dictionary of communes, Béarn, 2006 (French)
- Cassini: 1750 Cassini Map
- Cassini1: 1790 Cassini Map
- Ldh/EHESS/Cassini: Ldh/EHESS/Cassini database (French)
- Marca: Pierre de Marca, History of Béarn.
- Luntz: Contracts retained by Luntz
- Notaries: Notaries of Navarrenx
- Reformation: Reformation of Béarn
- Insinuations: Insinuations of the Diocese of Oloron
(Not all data is known)
The commune is part of five inter-communal structures:
- the community of communes of the Canton of Navarrenx;
- the AEP association of Navarrenx;
- the energy association of Pyrénées-Atlantiques;
- the tax collection association of Navarrenx;
- the inter-communal association of the gaves and the Saleys.
In 2010 the commune had 102 inhabitants. The evolution of the number of inhabitants is known from the population censuses conducted in the commune since 1793. From the 21st century, a census of communes with fewer than 10,000 inhabitants is held every five years, unlike larger communes that have a sample survey every year.[Note 1]
Culture and heritage
The Parish Church of Saint-Laurent (1860) is registered as an historical monument.
Notes and references
- At the beginning of the 21st century, the methods of identification have been modified by Law No. 2002-276 of 27 February 2002, the so-called "law of local democracy" and in particular Title V "census operations" allows, after a transitional period running from 2004 to 2008, the annual publication of the legal population of the different French administrative districts. For communes with a population greater than 10,000 inhabitants, a sample survey is conducted annually and the entire territory of these communes is taken into account at the end of the period of five years. The first "legal population" after 1999 under this new law came into force on 1 January 2009 and was based on the census of 2006.
- Bastanès on Lion1906
- Bastanès on Google Maps
- Bastanès on the Géoportail from National Geographic Institute (IGN) website (French)
- Michel Grosclaude, Toponymic Dictionary of communes, Béarn, Edicions reclams & Édition Cairn - 2006, 416 pages, ISBN 2-35068-005-3(French)
- Topographic Dictionary of the Department of Basses-Pyrenees, Paul Raymond, Imprimerie nationale, 1863, Digitised from Lyon Public Library 15 June 2011 (French)
- Baftanés on the 1750 Cassini Map
- Ba?tanés on the 1790 Cassini Map
- Pierre de Marca, Histoire de Bearn, La Veuve Jean Camusat, 1640, 850 pages (French)
- Contracts retained by Luntz, Notary of Béarn, in the Departmental Archives of Pyrénées-Atlantiques (French)
- Manuscript from the 16th to 18th centuries - Departmental Archives of Pyrénées-Atlantiques (French)
- Manuscripts from the 17th century in the Departmental Archives of Pyrénées-Atlantiques (French)
- List of Mayors of France (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée IA64000570 Church of Saint-Laurent (French)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bastanès.|