|Alternative names||Persian ice cream|
|Place of origin||Iran|
|Main ingredients||Milk, cream, sugar, flavorings (e.g. fruit puree or nut paste)|
Bastani sonnati (Persian: بستنی سنتی, lit. 'traditional ice cream'), or simply bastani (بستنی), is an Iranian ice cream made from milk, eggs, sugar, rose water, saffron, vanilla, and pistachios. It is widely known as Persian ice cream. Salep is also sometimes included as an ingredient. Bastani often contains flakes of frozen clotted cream.
The history of bastani probably began around 500 BCE in the Achaemenid Empire of Persia. People would pour syrups over snow called "fruit ice" (sharbat) to produce summertime treats. The ice was commonly mixed with saffron, grape juices, fruits, and other flavours. The Greek leader Alexander the Great, who battled the Persians for ten years, enjoyed "fruit ices" sweetened with honey and chilled with snow.
In 400 BCE, the Persians also invented an ice cream-like dessert made with rose water and vermicelli called faloodeh (Persian: پالوده). Persians introduced ice cream and faloodeh to Arabs after Arab invasion of Iran and the fall of Persian Sasanian Empire.
- Kitchen, Sephardi KitchenSephardi. "Bastani Persian Rose Water, Saffron And Pistachio Ice Cream) Recipe - Genius Kitchen". www.geniuskitchen.com. Retrieved 2019-03-20.
- "بستنیِ سنّتیِ زعفرانی". iranchef. Archived from the original on 25 October 2013. Retrieved 9 April 2014.
- "بستنی ایرانی چگونه ساخته میشد - سالارکتاب: اطلاعات معتبر و مستند". سالارکتاب: اطلاعات معتبر و مستند (in Persian). 2018-08-25. Retrieved 2018-10-03.
- "Who Invented Ice Cream? - Ice Cream Inventor". www.icecreamhistory.net. Retrieved 2018-08-31.
History of ice creams begun around 500 BCE in the Persian Empire where ice was used in combination with grape juices, fruits, and other flavors to produce very expensive and hard to produce summertime treats.
- Book of Firsts. RW Press. ISBN 9781909284296.
c. 550-330 BC, First mention of flavoured snow or ice : during the Persian Empire
- The History of Ice Cream & The Ice Cream Cone
- "علی (ع) و فالوده خوردن با ایرانیان - سالارکتاب: اطلاعات معتبر و مستند". سالارکتاب: اطلاعات معتبر و مستند (in Persian). 2018-06-02. Retrieved 2018-10-03.