Basti, Uttar Pradesh
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: citations and layout (March 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|• Total||1,040 km2 (400 sq mi)|
|• Density||110/km2 (290/sq mi)|
|• Official||Hindi, Urdu|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Basti is a city and a municipal corporations in Basti district in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. Basti district (Hindi: बस्ती जिला, Urdu: ضلع بستی), is one of the districts of Uttar Pradesh state, India and Basti town is the district headquarters. Basti district is a part of Basti Division.
Basti was originally known as town. The origin of the name Vaishishthi is attributed to the fact that this area was the Ashram of Rishi (sage) Vashistha in ancient period. Lord rama with his younger brother laxman had been here for some time with rishi vasistha.
The tract comprising the present district was remote and much of it was covered with forest. But gradually the area became inhabitable, for want of recorded and reliable history it cannot, with any degree of certainty, be said how the district came to known by its present name on account of the original habitation (Basti) having been selected by the Kalhan Raja as a seat of his Raj, an event which probably occurred in the 16th century. In 1801,. Basti became the Tehsil headquarters and in 1865 it was chosen as the headquarters of the newly established district.
The district lies between the parallels of 26° 23' and 27° 30' North and Latitude and 82° 17' and 83° 20' East longitude. Its maximum length from north to south is about 75 km. and breadth from east to west about 70 km. The district lies between newly created district Sant Kabir Nagar on the east and Gonda on the west On the south, the Ghaghra river near Amorha Khas previously known as Amorha Province or State of Raja Zalim Singh separates it from the Faizabad and newly created district named Ambedkar Nagar. While on the North it is bounded by district Sidharth Nagar.
As per provisional data of 2011 census, Basti had a population of 114,651 out of which males were 60,126 and females were 54,525. The literacy rate was 85.29 per cent.
As of 2001[update] India census, Basti had a population of 27,50,764. Males constitute 52% of the population and females 48%. Basti has an average literacy rate of 90%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 93%, and female literacy is 87%. In Basti, 13% of the population are infants.
- "Places of Interest". basti.nic.in. Retrieved 9 June 2016.
- Thomas, D. (1998). Battles and Honours of the Royal Navy. Leo Cooper. p. 16. ISBN 9780850526233. Retrieved 2017-01-14.
- Benett, W.C. (1878). The final settlement report on the Gonda district. 23. p. 22. Retrieved 2017-01-14.
- Michael, B.A. (2014). Statemaking and Territory in South Asia: Lessons from the Anglo–Gorkha War (1814–1816). Anthem Press. p. 151. ISBN 9781783083220. Retrieved 2017-01-14.
- "Yahoo maps location of Basti". Yahoo maps. Retrieved 2009-03-29.
- "Urban Agglomerations/Cities having population 1 lakh and above" (PDF). Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.