Map of Palawan with Bataraza highlighted
|Region||MIMAROPA (Region IV-B)|
|Founded||January 1, 1964|
|• Mayor||Abraham M. Ibba|
|• Total||726.20 km2 (280.39 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||100/km2 (270/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)48|
The municipality was named after Datu Bataraza Narrazid, a locally influential Muslim chieftain and father of the town's first mayor and former mayor of Brooke's Point, then Datu Sapiodin Narrazid. Bataraza was part of the municipality of Brooke's Point until 1964 by the virtue of Philippine RA 3425.
Main industries of Bataraza includes farming, fishing, and nickel mining and processing.
Bataraza is situated some 775 km (480 mi) south-west of Manila, between roughly 8.3 and 8.75 degrees latitude north of the equator. It stretches approximately 80 kilometres (50 mi) in north-easterly to south-westerly direction along the Sulu Sea, from the Malis River to Cape Buliluyan in the south. On the western side, it extends up to Wangly River.
It is bounded in the east by the Sulu Sea, in the west by a great mountain range, extending from Mount Mantalingahan (the highest peak in the province) to Mount Malitub, which serves as the divider between Bataraza and Rizal, and in the south-west by the South China Sea. Two large crocodiles were recovered here and were taken to Crocodile Farm in Puerto Princesa City.
Bataraza is politically subdivided into 22 barangays:
|Population census of Bataraza|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
In the 2015 census, the population of Bataraza was 75,468 people, with a density of 100 inhabitants per square kilometre or 260 inhabitants per square mile.
- "Municipalities". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Archived from the original on 25 January 2013. Retrieved 15 November 2012.
- "Province: Palawan". PSGC Interactive. Quezon City, Philippines: Philippine Statistics Authority. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Census of Population (2015). "Region IV-B (Mimaropa)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "Bataraza" (PDF). Provincial Government of Palawan. Archived from the original (PDF) on 17 April 2012. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- Census of Population and Housing (2010). "Region IV-B (Mimaropa)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Census of Population (1995, 2000 and 2007). "Region IV-B (Mimaropa)". Total Population by Province, City and Municipality. NSO. Archived from the original on 24 June 2011.
- "Province of Palawan". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration Research Division. Retrieved 17 December 2016.