Map of Palawan with Bataraza highlighted
|Region||MIMAROPA (Region IV-B)|
|Founded||January 1, 1964|
|• Mayor||Abraham M. Ibba|
|• Total||726.20 km2 (280.39 sq mi)|
|• Density||88/km2 (230/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||48|
Bataraza is a first class municipality in the province of Palawan, Philippines. The municipality was named after Datu Bataraza Narrazid, a locally influential Muslim chieftain and father of the town's first mayor and former mayor of Brooke's Point, then Datu Sapiodin Narrazid. Bataraza was part of the municipality of Brooke's Point until 1964 by the virtue of Philippine RA 3425.
According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 63,644 people. Main industries of Bataraza includes farming, fishing, and nickel mining and processing.
Bataraza is situated some 775 km (480 mi) south-west of Manila, between roughly 8.3 and 8.75 degrees latitude north of the equator. It stretches approximately 80 kilometres (50 mi) in north-easterly to south-westerly direction along the Sulu Sea, from the Malis River to Cape Buliluyan in the south. On the western side, it extends up to Wangly River.
It is bounded in the east by the Sulu Sea, in the west by a great mountain range, extending from Mount Mantalingahan (the highest peak in the province) to Mount Malitub, which serves as the divider between Bataraza and Rizal, and in the south-west by the South China Sea. Two large crocodiles were recovered here and were taken to Crocodile Farm in Puerto Princesa City.
- Marangas (Poblacion)
- Rio Tuba
- Tarusan (Bulosan)
|Population census of Bataraza|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
- "Municipalities". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Archived from the original on 25 January 2013. Retrieved 15 November 2012.
- "Province: PALAWAN". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Archived from the original on 14 November 2012. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010" (PDF). 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Archived from the original (PDF) on 15 November 2012. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- "Bataraza" (PDF). Provincial Government of Palawan. Archived from the original (PDF) on 17 April 2012. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- Census of Population (2015). "Region IV-B (Mimaropa)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- Census of Population and Housing (2010). "Region IV-B (Mimaropa)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Census of Population (1995, 2000 and 2007). "Region IV-B (Mimaropa)". Total Population by Province, City and Municipality. NSO. Archived from the original on 24 June 2011.
- "Province of Palawan". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration Research Division. Retrieved 17 December 2016.
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System
|South China Sea||Sulu Sea|