Batavia Township, Kane County, Illinois
Location in Kane County
Kane County's location in Illinois
|Established||November 6, 1849|
|• Total||18.7 sq mi (48 km2)|
|• Land||18.31 sq mi (47.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.39 sq mi (1.0 km2) 2.09%|
|Elevation||692 ft (211 m)|
|• Density||1,923.9/sq mi (742.8/km2)|
|GNIS feature ID||0428640|
Batavia Township is located in Kane County, Illinois. It is divided by the Fox River. As of the 2010 census, its population was 35,221 and it contained 12,892 housing units. The western part of the United States Department of Energy's Fermilab is located at the eastern edge of the township (formerly in the village of Weston), although most of the facility is located in neighboring Winfield Township in DuPage County.
Unlike the prototypical Midwestern township, which is a six mile by six mile square, Batavia splits such a 6-mile (9.7 km) square with Geneva Township. According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 18.7 square miles (48 km2), of which 18.31 square miles (47.4 km2) (or 97.91%) is land and 0.39 square miles (1.0 km2) (or 2.09%) is water.
Cities and towns
- Geneva Township (north)
- Winfield Township (east)
- Blackberry Township (west)
- Aurora Township (south)
- Naperville Township (southeast)
- Sugar Grove Township (southwest)
- Batavia Public School District 101
- West Aurora Public School District 129
The township contains Westside, Eastside, and River Hills cemeteries.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-28.
- "Batavia Township, Kane County, Illinois". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2010-01-17.
- Illinois Regional Archives Depository System. "Name Index to Illinois Local Governments". Illinois State Archives. Illinois Secretary of State.
|This Kane County, Illinois location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|