Front cover, 2 October 2014
|Owner(s)||Local World / Trinity Mirror|
|Editor||Gavin Thompson (since 4 October 2017)|
|Circulation||8,587 (as of 2017)|
The Bath Chronicle is a weekly newspaper, first published under various titles before 1760 in Bath, England. Prior to September 2007, it was published daily. The Bath Chronicle serves Bath, northern Somerset and West Wiltshire.
The Bath Journal was published in 1743, and was renamed Boddely's Bath Journal. It was renamed Keene's Bath Journal in January 1822, and was eventually taken over by the Bath Herald in March 1916. The newspaper also originated from the Bath Chronicle and Universal Register taking over from the Bath Advertiser which was published from 1755.
By 1919 it had changed its name to the Bath and Wilts Chronicle as a result of a merger with another paper. The Bath Herald was merged with the Bath Chronicle in 1925 to become the Bath Chronicle and Herald, amended in 1936 to Bath Weekly Chronicle and Herald.
The early 1960s was a time for another minor name change to Bath and Wilts Evening Chronicle. The change took place with the issue of 12 June 1961, but was again changed, with the issue of 1 April 1974 to Bath and West Evening Chronicle, before changing to the Evening Chronicle with the issue of 3 January 1989, remaining with that title until 7 May 1994.
In October 2007, the Bath Chronicle switched from daily to weekly publication, every Thursday.
In 2012, Local World acquired owner Northcliffe Media from Daily Mail and General Trust. It is published as part of the Bath Newspapers Group. Its circulation reaches the population of Bath and the surrounding areas including parts of Wiltshire and Somerset.
A series of weekly supplements included the Property Chronicle, the Bath Observer and the Norton Radstock & Frome Observer. The Observer supplements ceased publication in 2008.
In popular culture
- "Bath Chronicle" (PDF). Audit Bureau of Circulations (UK). 1 March 2018. Retrieved 13 September 2018.
- "The front page of the earliest known surviving copy of the Bath Chronicle as we know it 1760". Bath in Time - Bath Central Library Collection. Retrieved 12 January 2011.
- "A chronological hand-list of eighteenth century newspapers published in Bristol, Gloucestershire and Somerset". Fishponds Local History Society. Retrieved 2007-02-26.
- "Front page of the Bath and Wilts Chronicle, Saturday September 27, 1919". Bath in Time - Bath Central Library Collection. Retrieved 12 January 2011.
- "Front page of the Bath and Wilts Chronicle and Herald Monday July 28, 1930". Bath in Time - Bath Central Library Collection. Retrieved 12 January 2011.
- "Roger Bannister 4 minute mile edition May 8, 1954". Bath in Time - Bath Central Library Collection. Retrieved 12 January 2011.
- "The assassination of JFK 23rd November 1963". Bath in Time - Bath Central Library Collection. Retrieved 12 January 2011.
- British Library catalogue entries
- "Bath Chronicle Launch". Goram & Vincent. Retrieved 5 February 2012.
- "Bath Chronicle celebrates 250 years with old newspapers". BBC Bristol 20 August 2010. Archived from the original on 14 January 2011. Retrieved 15 January 2011.
- "Celebrating 250 Years of the Bath Chronicle". Pagesuite.com Date unknown. Retrieved 15 January 2011.
- Sharman, David (15 February 2018). "Almost 50 jobs at risk as Trinity Mirror unveils online rebrand of seven dailies". HoldtheFrontPage. Retrieved 5 April 2018.
- Daily Mail sells regional newspapers to Local World BBC News, 21 November 2012
- "The Bath Chronicle". media.info Date unknown. Retrieved 26 June 2015.
- Buckland, Robert (28 October 2015). "Jobs fears as Bath Chronicle parent group is acquired in £220m deal". Bath Business News. Retrieved 5 April 2018.
- Ponsford, Dominic (10 May 2016). "Editors of Bath Chronicle and Western Daily Press join wave of exits from Local World since Trinity Mirror take over". Press Gazette. Retrieved 5 April 2018.
- "British Newspapers Online". WordPress & WPSmart British Expat Ltd - Date unknown. Archived from the original on 24 December 2010. Retrieved 15 January 2011.
- "Bath Chronicle Georgian Newspaper Project". Bath & North East Somerset Council. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
|This English newspaper–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|