Bathiya and Santhush
|Bathiya N Santhush|
Bathiya Jayakody (left) & Santhush Weeraman (right)
|Origin||Colombo, Sri Lanka|
|Genres||Sri Lankan music, Pop, R&B, Hip hop|
|Labels||Torana Music, SonyBMG, Universal Music, M-Entertainment, SGMTune|
|Associated acts||Ashanthi De Alwis, Nirosha Virajini, Randhir Witana, Umaria Sinhawansa, Umara Sinhawansa Hariharan, Asha Bhosle|
Bathiya & Santhush (Sinhalese: භාතිය සහ සන්තුෂ්) :(BNS) are Sri Lankan duo singers. They are a pop/rap duo composed of Bathiya Jayakody and Santhush Weeraman, who met while at Mary Anne David's school for singing in Colombo (training mainly under the categories of classical and show tunes).
Bathiya Jayakody, born on the 22nd December 1976, was educated at Ananda College Colombo while Santhush Weeraman born on the 5th September 1977 was educated at Royal College Colombo. Santhush comes from a musical family, his brother Dushyanth Weeraman is also a musician of repute.
Since the inception of their act in 1998, they have released nearly 8 albums and have had over 25 Sri Lankan number one singles. Bathiya & Santhush are one of the biggest musical acts to hit the Sri Lankan musical scene since the 1990s, mixing Sinhala, Tamil, and English lyrics in their originals, while they have also utilized Hindi language in remix songs bringing out their contemporary style and the music industry in Sri Lanka.
Having performed in over 600 concerts in Sri Lanka and abroad, in 2008 BNS marked the end of their concert series after over 120 performances "Neththara Live". This was replaced with a brand new concert series named "Shaheena" after their 2008 first single and the same titled promotional album for Lux. Their current concert series Sara Sihina is named after their 2010 release. With the release of their 5th main stream album "Sara Sihina - the 5th Element" Bathiya and Santhush became the only Sri Lankan artists to feature with Indian singers Hariharan (in the song Yaalpanamen) and Asha Bhosle (Dedunna Sedi).
Starting from a 2 man operation from their bedroom during their early days, BNS Production Group today houses 4 companies — Showtown Entertainment event management & production, Saregama Music Digital Audio Production, Saregama Films, Saregama Digital Content Acquisition & Management.
||This section possibly contains original research. (May 2015)|
Bathiya Jayakody born December 22, 1976, in Colombo, Sri Lanka, to a military family. His father was late Maj. Gen. Nihal Jayakody and mother Mohini Jayakody. His artistic abilities come from his mother’s side. His maternal grandmother Somi Singhika Basnayake who hailed from Hillwood College Kandy, was in the college choir and his mother a classically trained pianist and a piano tutor. Bathiya started classical piano music from the age of seven and continued to excel in music through out his school career.
He started his education in Holloway Primary School in India and upon return in 1984 he entered Isipathana College Colombo for a brief period. In 1988 he joined Ananda College Colombo, where he later held the position of Deputy Head Prefect in 1995 and was decorated as a presidents Scout of the Scout troop in 1994. After his secondary education at Ananda College he completed his degree and obtained BSc (Hon) Business from the Manchester Metropolitan University UK.
Early musical journey
While studying western classical music privately, Bathiya was a member of the first Ananda College western band where he played the alto saxophone and occasionally filled in for the percussion section. He was also a pianist with the western music society. He was a founding member and a lead vocalist of the school pop band. Winning many awards at inter school competitions Bathiya soon became a known figure in the school's music circuit as a college musician during the mid-1990s. He later started learning the music technology with the Sri Lankan music tech Dilup Gabadamudalige. He also joined the Marry Anne Singers Colombo and studied opera, jazz and Broadway singing under the vocal teacher Maryanne David. During the later part of the nineties, Bathiya worked as a freelance vocalist singing for radio jingles and commercials together with Ranga Dassanayake. During this period Bathiya Jayakody and Santhush Weeraman collaborated on a few projects, which led to the formation of Bathiya and Santhush.
Awards and accomplishments
- First Sri Lankan artists to secure a Music Publishing Contract under "UNIVERSAL MUSIC PUBLISHING" in 2002.
- First Sri Lankan artists to sign a recording contract with "Sony BMG", in 2002
- Winner - Silver Award, "Azia Dauysy" Music Festival Kazakhstan 2001
- Winner - Bronze Award, Shanghai Music Festival China 2001
- Composers & Performers of the Official Sri Lankan Cricket Anthem for Sri Lanka Cricket 2002 - Apa jathiye naamayen..
- Bronze Award Winners at the Shanghai Music Festival 2001
- Winner - TYOP Award for the contribution to Culture & Arts, Ten Young Outstanding Persons of the year awards (TOYP) 2002
- Winner - Best fusion band, Golden Clef Award for the 2002
- Bronze award - 4th Sunflower Pop Music Festival in Zernjanin Serbia 2003
- Special Achievement Award Winners at the "Astana Music Festival" in Kazakhstan in 2005
- Winner - "Male Icon-2006" entertainment industry award (Award ceremony was held on 14 June 2007 at the Colombo Hilton)
- Winner - Most Popular Artiste of the Year Award, Sirasa Music Awards 2007
- Runners-up - Best Music Video, for Res Vihidena Samanaliyak, Derana Music Video Awards 2009
- First Sri Lankan artists to release a song with Indian collaboration. BNS released a track called "Yaalpaanamen" featuring icon Indian singer Hariharan 2009
- Collaboration with Asha Bhosle in June 2009 on their 5th album "Sara Sihina" which was released in September 2010
- Runner-up - Music Video of Lanka Matha, Derana Music Video Awards 2010
- Performed at the opening act of the IIFA Awards 2010. BNS was also Co-writers of the IIFA awards 2010 opening music track together with Jananath Warakagoda.
- Performed at 2011 ICC Cricket World Cup opening ceremony, as ambassadors of Sri Lankan music.
- Winner - award for outstanding contribution to the Sri Lankan Music Industry, Derana Music Video Awards 2012
- Composed and Performed of the official theme song for ICC Cricket T20 Worldcup Song 2012
- Composed the Song "Achale" sung by Indian Pop Idol Sonu Nigam for the Japanese Animation Movie "The Mistical Laws" in 2013
- Performed and co-directed of the official theme song for the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) 2013
|1998||Vasanthaye ~ A New Beginning'||Torana Music|
|2004||Hiri Poda Wessa (Movie OST)||SGMTunes|
|2007||Asai Mang Piyambanna (Movie OST)||SGMTunes|
|2008||Rosa Kele (Movie OST)||SGMTunes|
|2010||Dancing Star (Movie OST)||M Entertainment|
|2015||Pravegaya (Movie OST)||SGMTunes|
- "Current Affairs". Priu.gov.lk. 2002-02-25. Retrieved 2015-08-11.
- "BUSINESS TODAY - Dialog reappoints Bathiya and Santhush as Kit Brand Ambassadors". Businesstoday.lk. Retrieved 2015-08-11.
- [dead link]
- "BUSINESS TODAY - Message Of Patriotism Through Mother Sri Lanka". Businesstoday.lk. Retrieved 2015-08-11.
- "BUSINESS TODAY - Maliban Lemon Puff re-launched with a new look and taste". Businesstoday.lk. Retrieved 2015-08-11.
- "BUSINESS TODAY - HNB Assurance launches "myhome" and "myhealth"". Businesstoday.lk. Retrieved 2015-08-11.
- "Bathiya & Santhush | Vernon Corea 1927-2002". Vernoncorea.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2015-08-11.
- "The Island - Business". Island.lk. Retrieved 2015-08-11.
- "Bathiya and Santhush on Vernon Corea | Vernon Corea 1927-2002". Vernoncorea.wordpress.com. 2012-09-29. Retrieved 2015-08-11.
- "The Island-Business". Island.lk. Retrieved 2015-08-11.
- ":: Daily Mirror - FINANCIAL TIMES ::". Archives.dailymirror.lk. 2007-09-05. Retrieved 2015-08-11.
- [dead link]
- "McDonalds launches delivery service". Sundayobserver.lk. 2015-03-08. Retrieved 2015-08-11.
- "SLPL 2012- MASCOT WOULD BE ‘FUN LION’". Gossip Lanka News [English]. 2012-07-21. Retrieved 2015-08-11.
- "HNB Assurance launches ‘myhome’ and ‘myhealth’ :::DailyFT - Be Empowered". Ft.lk. Retrieved 2015-08-11.