Bathiya and Santhush
||This biography of a living person includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Bathiya Jayakody (left) & Santhush Weeraman (right) in 2016 during the filming of Video Loke by Dialog.
|Origin||Colombo, Sri Lanka|
|Genres||Hip hop, folkhop, electrohop|
|Labels||Torana Music, M-Entertainment, SGMTune, SonyBMG, Universal Music|
|Associated acts||Asha Bhosle|
Bathiya & Santhush (Sinhalese: බාතිය හා සන්තුෂ්), known simply as BnS, are a Sri Lankan hip hop duo consisting of Bathiya Jayakody (born on December 22, 1976) and Santhush Weeraman (born on September 5, 1977), who met while at the "Mary Anne David School of Vocal Music" in Colombo (training mainly under the categories of classical and show tunes). They both were born in Colombo, Sri Lanka. They have been one of the most commercially successful music acts in Sri Lanka in the last two decades.
Bathiya Jayakody was educated at Ananda College, Colombo while Santhush Weeraman was educated at Royal College, Colombo. Santhush comes from a musical family, his brother Dushyanth Weeraman is also a musician of repute.
Since the inception of their act in 1998, they have released nearly 8 EPs and have had over 25 Sri Lankan number one singles. Bathiya & Santhush are one of the biggest musical acts to hit the Sri Lankan musical scene since the 1990s, mixing Sinhala, Tamil, and English rap verses in their originals, while they have also mixed Hindi rap verses in their folkhop remixes bringing out their contemporary style and the music industry in Sri Lanka.
Having performed in over 600 concerts in Sri Lanka and abroad, BnS marked the end of their concert series after over 120 performances "Neththara Live" in 2008. This was replaced with a brand new concert series named "Shaheena" after their 2008 first single and the same titled promotional album for Lux. Their current concert series Sara Sihina is named after their 2010 release. With the release of their fifth mainstream EP Sara Sihina - the 5th Element, BnS became the only Sri Lankan hip hop duo to feature Indian singers, namely Hariharan (in the song Yaalpanamen) and Asha Bhosle (Dedunna Sedi).
Starting from a 2-man operation from their bedroom during their early days, BnS Production Group today houses 4 companies — Showtown Entertainment event management & production, Saregama Music Digital Audio Production, Saregama Films and Saregama Digital Content Acquisition & Management.
Bathiya Jayakody was born to a military family. His father was late Maj. Gen. Nihal Jayakody and mother Mohini Jayakody. His artistic abilities come from his mother’s side. His maternal grandmother Somi Singhika Basnayake who hailed from Hillwood College, Kandy, was in the college choir and his mother a classically trained pianist and a piano tutor. Bathiya started classical piano music from the age of seven and continued to excel in music throughout his school career.
He started his education in Holloway Primary School in India and upon return in 1984 he entered Isipathana College, Colombo for a brief period. In 1988 he joined Ananda College, Colombo, where he later held the position of Deputy Head Prefect in 1995 and was decorated as a President Scout of the Scout Troop in 1994. After his secondary education at Ananda College, he completed his degree and obtained BSc (Hon) Business from the Manchester Metropolitan University, UK.
Early musical journey
While studying western classical music privately, Bathiya was a member of the first Ananda College western band where he played the alto saxophone and occasionally filled in for the percussion section. He was also a pianist with the western music society. He was a founding member and a lead vocalist of the school band. Winning many awards at inter school competitions, Bathiya soon became a known figure in the school's music circuit as a college musician during the mid-90s. He later started learning the music technology with the Sri Lankan music artist Dilup Gabadamudalige. He also joined the Marry Anne Singers Colombo and studied opera, jazz and Broadway singing under the Mary Anne David School of Vocal Music. During the late 90s, Bathiya worked as a freelance vocalist singing for radio jingles and commercials together with Ranga Dassanayake. During this period, Bathiya Jayakody and Santhush Weeraman collaborated on a few projects, which led to the formation of BnS.
Awards and accomplishments
- First Sri Lankan artists to secure a Music Publishing Contract under Universal Music Publishing in 2002.
- First Sri Lankan artists to sign a recording contract with Sony BMG in 2002.
- Winner - Silver Award, Voice of Asia, Kazakhstan in 2001.
- Winner - Bronze Award, Shanghai Music Festival, China in 2001.
- Composers & Performers of the Official Sri Lankan Cricket Anthem for Sri Lanka Cricket in 2002 - Apa jathiye naamayen.
- Winner - TYOP Award for the contribution to Culture & Arts, Ten Young Outstanding Persons of the year awards (TOYP) 2002.
- Winner - Best fusion band, Golden Clef Award in 2002.
- Bronze award - 4th Sunflower Hip hop Music Festival in Zernjanin, Serbia in 2003.
- Special Achievement Award Winners at the "Astana Music Festival" in Kazakhstan in 2005.
- Winner - "Male Icon-2006" Entertainment Industry Award (Ceremony was held on 14 June 2007 at Hilton Colombo.)
- Winner - Most Popular Artist of the Year Award, Sirasa Music Awards in 2007.
- Runners-up - Best Music Video, for Res Vihidena Samanaliyak, Derana Music Video Awards in 2009.
- First Sri Lankan artists to release a song with an Indian collaboration. BnS released a track called "Yaalpaanamen" featuring iconic Indian singer Hariharan in 2013.
- Collaboration with Asha Bhosle on their 5th album "Sara Sihina" which was released in September 2010.
- Runner-up - Music Video of Lanka Matha, Derana Music Video Awards in 2010.
- Performed at the opening act of the IIFA Awards 2010. BnS was also the co-writers of the IIFA awards 2010 opening music track together with Jananath Warakagoda.
- Performed at the 2011 ICC Cricket World Cup opening ceremony as ambassadors of folkhop.
- Winner - Award for outstanding contribution to the Sri Lankan Music Industry, Derana Music Video Awards in 2012.
- Composed and Performed of the official theme song for ICC Cricket T20 World Cup Song 2012
- Composed the song "Achale" sung by Indian Pop Idol Sonu Nigam for the Japanese Anime Movie "The Mystical Laws" in 2013.
- Performed and co-directed the official theme song for the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) in 2013.
|1998||Vasanthaye ~ A New Beginning||Torana Music|
|2004||Hiri Poda Wessa (Movie OST)||SGMTunes|
|2007||Asai Mang Piyambanna (Movie OST)||SGMTunes|
|2008||Rosa Kele (Movie OST)||SGMTunes|
|2010||Dancing Star (Movie OST)||M Entertainment|
|2016||Pravegaya (Movie OST)||SGMTunes|
- "Current Affairs". Priu.gov.lk. 2002-02-25. Retrieved 2015-08-11.
- "BUSINESS TODAY - Dialog reappoints Bathiya and Santhush as Kit Brand Ambassadors". Businesstoday.lk. Retrieved 2015-08-11.
-  Archived 22 February 2013 at the Wayback Machine.
- "BUSINESS TODAY - Message Of Patriotism Through Mother Sri Lanka". Businesstoday.lk. Retrieved 2015-08-11.
- "BUSINESS TODAY - Maliban Lemon Puff re-launched with a new look and taste". Businesstoday.lk. Retrieved 2015-08-11.
- "BUSINESS TODAY - HNB Assurance launches "myhome" and "myhealth"". Businesstoday.lk. Retrieved 2015-08-11.
- "Bathiya & Santhush | Vernon Corea 1927-2002". Vernoncorea.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2015-08-11.
- "The Island - Business". Island.lk. Retrieved 2015-08-11.
- "Bathiya and Santhush on Vernon Corea | Vernon Corea 1927-2002". Vernoncorea.wordpress.com. 2012-09-29. Retrieved 2015-08-11.
- "The Island-Business". Island.lk. Retrieved 2015-08-11.
- ":: Daily Mirror - FINANCIAL TIMES ::". Archives.dailymirror.lk. 2007-09-05. Archived from the original on 2016-01-15. Retrieved 2015-08-11.
-  Archived 3 April 2015 at the Wayback Machine.
- "McDonalds launches delivery service". Sundayobserver.lk. 2015-03-08. Retrieved 2015-08-11.
- "SLPL 2012- MASCOT WOULD BE 'FUN LION'". Gossip Lanka News [English]. 2012-07-21. Retrieved 2015-08-11.
- "HNB Assurance launches 'myhome' and 'myhealth' :::DailyFT - Be Empowered". Ft.lk. Retrieved 2015-08-11.