Bathiya and Santhush
|Bathiya N Santhush|
From left to Right
Bathiya Jayakody & Santhush Weeraman
|Origin||Colombo, Sri Lanka|
|Genres||Sri Lankan music, Pop, R&B|
|Labels||SonyBMG / Universal Music/M-Entertainment |
|Associated acts||Ashanthi De Alwis
Bathiya & Santhush (Sinhala:භාතිය සහ සන්තුෂ්) (BNS) are young popular artists in the Sri Lankan music industry. They are a pop/rap duo composed of Bathiya Jayakody and Santhush Weeraman, who met while at Mary Anne David's school for singing in Colombo (training mainly under the categories of classical and show tunes).
Bathiya Jayakody, born on the 22nd December 1976, was educated at Ananda College Colombo while Santhush Weeraman born on the 5th September 1977 was educated at Royal College Colombo. Santhush comes from a musical family, his brother Dushyanth is also a musician of repute.
Since the inception of their act in 1998, they have released nearly 8 albums and have had over 25 Sri Lankan number one singles. Bathiya & Santhush are one of the biggest musical acts to hit the Sri Lankan musical scene since the 1990s, mixing Sinhala, Tamil, and English lyrics in their originals, while they have also utilized Hindi language in remix songs bringing out their contemporary style and revolutionising the music industry in Sri Lanka.
Having performed in over 600 concerts in Sri Lanka and abroad, in 2008 BNS marked the end of their most successful concert series after over 120 performances "Neththara Live". This was replaced with a brand new concert series named "Shaheena" after their 2008 No. 1 single and the same titled promotional album for Lux. Their current concert series Sara Sihina is named after their 2010 release. With the release of their 5th main stream album "Sara Sihina - the 5th Element" Bathiya and Santhush became the only Sri Lankan artists to feature with popular Indian singers Hariharan (in the song Yaalpanamen) and Asha Bhosle (Dedunna Sedi).
Apart from being two of the most innovative music personalities of this generation, Bathiya & Santhush a household name in Sri Lanka, are also known as two of the most successful entrepreneurs in the Sri Lankan music industry. Starting from a 2 man operation from their bedroom during their early days, BNS Production Group today houses 4 companies thus making it one of the rare places which offer a 360 degree services in the entertainment industry - Showtown Entertainment event management & production, Saregama Music Digital Audio Production, Saregama Films Film Productions, Saregama Digital Digital Content Acquisition & Management.
After 15 Years BNS still top the charts of Sri Lanka and are considered one of the most successful musical acts of the modern Sri Lankan era.
Awards and accomplishments
- First Sri Lankan artists to secure a Music Publishing Contract under "UNIVERSAL MUSIC PUBLISHING" in 2002.
- First Sri Lankan artists to be singed under "Sony BMG" in 2002
- Winner - Silver Award, "Azia Dauysy" Music Festival Kazakhstan 2001
- Winner - Bronze Award, Shanghai Music Festival China 2001
- Composers & Performers of the Official Sri Lankan Cricket Anthem for Sri Lanka Cricket 2002 - Apa jathiye naamayen..
- Bronze Award Winners at the Shanghai Music Festival 2001
- Winner - TYOP Award for the contribution to Culture & Arts, Ten Young Outstanding Persons of the year awards (TOYP) 2002
- Winner - Best fusion band, Golden Clef Award for the 2002
- Bronze award - 4th Sunflower Pop Music Festival in Zernjanin Serbia 2003
- Special Achievement Award Winners at the "Astana Music Festival" in Kazakhstan in 2005
- Winner - "Male Icon-2006" entertainment industry award (Award ceremony was held on 14 June 2007 at the Colombo Hilton)
- Winner - Most Popular Artiste of the Year Award, Sirasa Music Awards 2007
- Runners-up - Best Music Video, for Res Vihidena Samanaliyak, Derana Music Video Awards 2009
- First Sri Lankan artists to release a song with Indian collaboration. BNS released a track called "Yaalpaanamen" featuring icon Indian singer Hariharan 2009
- Collaboration with Asha Bhosle in June 2009 on their 5th album "Sara Sihina" which was released in September 2010
- Runner-up - Music Video of Lanka Matha, Derana Music Video Awards 2010
- Performed at the opening act of the IIFA Awards 2010. BNS was also Co-writers of the IIFA awards 2010 opening music track together with Jananath Warakagoda.
- Performed at 2011 ICC Cricket World Cup opening ceremony, as ambassadors of Sri Lankan music.
- Winner - award for outstanding contribution to the Sri Lankan Music Industry, Derana Music Video Awards 2012
- Composed and Performed of the official theme song for ICC Cricket T20 Worldcup Song 2012
- Composed the Song "Achale" sung by Indian Pop Idol Sonu Nigam for the Japanese Animation Movie "The Mistical Laws" in 2013
- Performed and co-directed of the official theme song for the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) 2013
|1998||Vasanthaye ~ A New Beginning'||Torana Music|
|2004||Hiri Poda Wessa (Movie OST)||SGMTunes|
|2007||Asai Mang Piyambanna (Movie OST)||SGMTunes|
|2008||Rosa Kele (Movie OST)||SGMTunes|
|2010||Dancing Star (Movie OST)||M Entertainment|
|2015||Pravegaya (Movie OST)||SGMTunes|
- Dialog Axiata
- Asus Computers
- Rexona for Men
- HNB Assurance 
- Dotcom - Commercial Bank
- Singer Electronics - Singer
- Singer Retail - Singer
- Phoenix Plastics
- Maliban Milk - Maliban
- Asian Paints
- Maliban Lemon Puff - Maliban
- Prima Kottumee - Prima Group
- Anchor New Dale - Fontera
- Mc Donalds