|Operators:||Société Maritime Shell France|
LOA: 414.22 m (1,359.0 ft)LBP: 401.10 m (1,315.9 ft)
|Beam:||63.01 m (206.7 ft)|
|Draft:||28.5 m (94 ft)|
|Depth:||35.92 m (117.8 ft)|
|Installed power:||64,800 bhp (48.3 MW)|
|Speed:||16 kn (30 km/h; 18 mph)|
The Batillus-class supertankers was a class of supertanker ships built in France at the end of the 1970s. Four such ships were built between 1976 and 1979—serving until the final one was scrapped in 2003. They were built in the Bassin C dock of the Chantiers de l'Atlantique shipyards at Saint Nazaire, France. Measured by gross tonnage, these were, at the time, the largest ships of any type ever constructed.
While being the largest ships ever built by gross tonnage until Pioneering Spirit, the four Batillus-class ships were the second largest ever constructed when measuring deadweight tonnage or length overall, behind only the supertanker Seawise Giant (renamed four times, including Knock Nevis), which existed from 1979 to 2009.
While there were minor differences between the four Batillus-class ships, they all approached a gross tonnage (GT) of 275,000 tonnes, and 555,000 tonnes deadweight (DWT) tonnage, and had a length overall of over 414 metres (1,358 ft) (longer than all but a few of the tallest skyscrapers in the world).
The Batillus class depth of nearly 36 metres (118 ft) from the main deck and a full load draft of 28.5 metres (94 ft) are records for ships of any kind, being slightly greater than the two Globtik Tokyo-class ULCCs.
Unlike Seawise Giant and most other ULCCs, the Batillus-class vessels had twin screws, twin boilers of full size and power, and twin rudders. As a result, in an emergency they could more easily and safely be operated than with a single propeller and a single boiler.
Vessels in class
- Batillus, built in 1976, scrapped in 1986.
- Bellamya, built in 1976, scrapped in 1986.
- Pierre Guillaumat, built in 1977, scrapped in 1983.
- Prairial, built in 1979, renamed Sea Brilliance, renamed Hellas Fos, renamed Sea Giant, scrapped in 2003.
- Clarkson Research Studies Ltd. (1987). Tanker Register 1987. International Publication Service. ISBN 0-8002-4143-6.
- Auke Visser (10 June 2010). "Prairial". International Super Tankers. Retrieved 29 June 2010.
- Auke Visser (10 June 2010). "Batillus". International Super Tankers. Archived from the original on 13 July 2010. Retrieved 29 June 2010.
- Auke Visser (10 June 2010). "Bellamya". International Super Tankers. Retrieved 29 June 2010.
- Auke Visser (10 June 2010). "Pierre Guillaumat". International Super Tankers. Retrieved 29 June 2010.