List of DC Comics characters named Batman
||This article describes a work or element of fiction in a primarily in-universe style. (October 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|First appearance||Detective Comics #27 (May 1939)|
|Created by||Bob Kane (concept)
Bill Finger (uncredited)
|See also||Alternative versions of Batman|
Bruce Wayne is the main character associated with the Batman alias.
Having discovered Batman's secret identity, Hugo Strange drugs Bruce Wayne and usurps the role for a time.
When Bruce Wayne's back is broken by Bane during the Knightfall storyline, Jean-Paul Valley, better known as Azrael, replaced him until he was deemed a poor replacement for Bruce Wayne and was subsequently replaced by Dick Grayson.
Although best known as Batman's teen sidekick Robin and as his independent, adult persona Nightwing, Grayson became Batman twice. The first time was during Knightfall when Valley proved an unsuitable replacement (although it was never the intention to kill off Batman at this time) and the second time was following the apparent death of Wayne in the Batman R.I.P. storyline. During the Battle for the Cowl storyline which followed Batman R.I.P. other characters briefly assumed the role, Jason Todd and Tim Drake, before the alias finally passed to Grayson. Grayson has also donned the costume on least one other occasion, although it was merely for one issue.
The third Robin. Tim Drake briefly assumed the role of Batman before "Batman: Battle for the Cowl", and then again during the event itself. He replaces Bruce Wayne in some continuities, notably the Titans Tomorrow continuity. He has also assumed the role in an apocalyptic future, after the "future's end" storyline.
The second Robin. Jason Todd usurped the identity of Batman during "Battle for the Cowl", but was defeated by Dick Grayson, who became Batman following. He is the second Batman on Earth-15.
The 5th and current Robin. Portrayed as the successor to Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson in a possible future of mainstream continuity (prior to Flashpoint).
The second Batman in the DCAU/Earth-12 universe and the fourth Batman in a possible future of mainstream continuity (prior to Flashpoint).
Following Bruce Wayne's apparent death in Batman #40 Gordon took up the mantle in Divergence #1 (both issues being part of The New 52).
- "Hugo Strange (comic book character)". Comicvine.com. Archived from the original on 11 August 2010. Retrieved 2010-09-13.
- Doug Moench (w), Jim Aparo (a). "Killer's Bane" Batman 489 (February 1993), DC Comics
- Cronin, Brian (March 13, 2008). "Comic Book Urban Legends Revealed #146". Comic Book Resources.
- Doug Moench (w), Mike Gustovich (p), Romeo Tanghal (i). "Part One: Robin and Batman" Batman 512 (November 1994), DC Comics
- Tony Daniel (w), Tony Daniel (p), Sandu Florea (i). "Last Man Standing" Batman: Battle for the Cowl 3 (July 2009), DC Comics
- Batman (Bruce Wayne, Golden Age) at the Comic Book DB
- Batman (Bruce Wayne, Earth 1) at the Comic Book DB
- Batman (Bruce Wayne, Post Crisis) at the Comic Book DB
- Batman (Jean-Paul Valley) at the Comic Book DB
- Batman (Dick Grayson) at the Comic Book DB
- Batman at the DC Database Project