Baton Baton Mein
|Baton Baton Mein|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Basu Chatterjee|
|Produced by||Basu Chatterjee|
|Music by||Rajesh Roshan|
|13 April 1979|
Baton Baton Mein (Hindi: बातों बातों में) is a 1979 Indian romantic comedy film, produced and directed by Basu Chatterjee. The film stars Amol Palekar and Tina Munim in leading roles. David, Pearl Padamsee, Asrani and Ranjit Choudhary appear in supporting roles.
The film's music is by Rajesh Roshan. At least three of the four songs became quite popular. The movie did above average business.
Rosie Perreira (Pearl Padamsee) is an overly anxious widow, living with her violin-obsessed son, Shabi (Ranjit Chowdhry) and a lovely daughter, Nancy (Tina Munim) who she would like to get married to a wealthy young man. Her brother and neighbour, Tom (David) introduces a young eligible Tony Braganza (Amol Palekar) to Nancy on the 9:10 AM Western Railway local train from Bandra to Churchgate. Tom also asks Nancy to introduce Tony to Rosie, which she does. Rosie is initially apprehensive about him as he only drawing a mere Rs.300/ compared to Nancy's Rs.700/-, but soon changes her mind when she finds out that after his probationary period he will draw a monthly pay of Rs.1000/-. Nancy and Tony are permitted to meet and both eventually fall in love. While Nancy has a past where she was betrayed by a boy whom she loved, she still likes Tony. Tony is hesitant, and this is what costs him Nancy's love, as Rosie feels that he will not come through with the marriage. And soon Rosie starts looking elsewhere for a son-in-law. Nancy does not like this, but she at first accepts whatever her mom wants. Nancy and Tony have a fight and stop meeting each other on the train as well. When Tom comes to know about this, he speaks to Tony's dad. Tony's dad tells Tony that if he is still reluctant to make any commitments, he should tell Nancy about it. So Nancy and Tony meet each other and Nancy tells him that she will never meet him again. It is then that Tony feels that he actually loves Nancy and cannot live without her. Then Nancy also confesses her love for him and they get married happily.
- Amol Palekar as Tony Braganza
- Tina Munim as Nancy Perreira
- Asrani as Francis Fernandes
- David Abraham as Uncle Tom
- Leela Mishra as Philomena Aunty
- Pearl Padamsee as Rosie Perreira
- Arvind Deshpande as Mr. Braganza
- Piloo J. Wadia as Mrs. Braganza
- Ranjit Chowdhry as Shabi Perreira
- Uday Chandra as Henry
- Shobhini Singh
- "Kahan Tak Yeh Mann Ko": Kishore Kumar
- "Na Bole Tum": Asha Bhosle & Amit Kumar - the tune of this song was lifted from the popular American Civil War marching song When Johnny Comes Marching Home Again, composed by Patrick Gilmore
The name of the track is used as title for the Hindi Soap Opera Na Bole Tum Na Maine Kuch Kaha Season 1 and Season 2 which aired in Colors TV in 2012 and 2013 respectively.
- "Suniye Kahiye": Asha Bhosle & Kishore Kumar
- "Uthe Sabke Kadam": Lata Mangeshkar, Amit Kumar & Pearl Padamsee - Inspired by popular nursery rhyme "Polly Wolly Doodle".
- "28 Bollywood Songs That You Didn't Know Were Copied Or 'Inspired'". HuffPost. India. 23 November 2016. Retrieved 28 November 2018.