Battle Mountain Airport
Battle Mountain Airport
|Serves||Battle Mountain, Nevada|
|Location||Lander County, near Battle Mountain, Nevada|
|Elevation AMSL||4,532 ft / 1,381 m|
Battle Mountain Airport (IATA: BAM, ICAO: KBAM, FAA LID: BAM), also known as Lander County Airport, is 3 miles (5 km) southeast of Battle Mountain, Nevada. This general aviation airport is owned by Lander County and operated by the Battle Mountain Airport Authority.
The airport was built by the United States Army Air Forces about 1942, and was known as Battle Mountain Flight Strip. It was an emergency landing airfield by the Reno Army Air Base for military aircraft on training flights. It was also designated as a CAA Intermediate Field for civil aircraft emergency use. It was closed after World War II, and was turned over for local government use by the War Assets Administration (WAA).
The airport covers 1,066 acres (431 ha) and has two runways and two helipads:
- 3/21: 7,299 x 150 ft (2,225 x 46 m) Asphalt
- 12/30: 7,300 x 100 ft (2,225 x 30 m) Asphalt
- Helipad H1: 60 x 60 ft (18 x 18 m), Surface: Concrete
- Helipad H2: 60 x 60 ft (18 x 18 m), Surface: Concrete
BAM is home to the Battle Mountain Air Attack Base which is run by the Bureau of Land Management. The Air Attack Base provides air tanker support for fire suppression in northern Nevada. The Nevada Division of Forestry also operates an air tanker base at BAM.
The airstrip at Battle Mountain was used as a setting by novelist Dale Brown in his techno-thriller novel Battle Born.
- FAA Airport Master Record for BAM ( PDF)
- "Army and Air Force Flying Fields in the USA". 2008-10-07. Retrieved 19 December 2008.
- "AIR ATTACK BASE OPEN HOUSE AND SMOKEY'S 60TH BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION". Bureau of Land Management. 2004-07-30. Archived from the original on 17 October 2008. Retrieved 19 December 2008.
- "Battle Mountain Fire Program". Bureau of Land Management. Archived from the original on 7 February 2009. Retrieved 19 December 2008.
- "Aviation". Nevada Division of Forestry. Archived from the original on 16 June 2011. Retrieved 27 June 2011.
- "US Navy and US Marine Corps BuNos". Archived from the original on 30 December 2008. Retrieved 19 December 2008.
- "1966 USAF Serial Numbers". Archived from the original on 7 January 2009. Retrieved 19 December 2008.
- This article incorporates public domain material from the Air Force Historical Research Agency website http://www.afhra.af.mil/.
- Shaw, Frederick J. (2004), Locating Air Force Base Sites History’s Legacy, Air Force History and Museums Program, United States Air Force, Washington DC, 2004.
- Brown, Dale (1999) Battle Born, 416 pp.(hardcover). Bantam Books, New York, NY, 1999.
- "Diagram of Battle Mountain Airport (BAM)" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-02-13. from Nevada DOT
- FAA Terminal Procedures for BAM, effective June 18, 2020
- Resources for this airport: