Castaway Bay (Sea World)
Battle Boats are one of three attractions which form Castaway Bay
Castaway Bay is a themed area at the Sea World amusement park on the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia. It consists of three distinct attractions: Battle Boats (formerly Battle Sails), Sky Climb, and Sky Fortress.
In December 2009, a Gold Coast Bulletin article reported Sea World would be receiving a multi-million-dollar, water-related family attraction in 2010. In May 2010, Sea World confirmed they would launch a A$6 million interactive adventure zone. One month later, the park announced that Castaway Bay would comprise Battle Sails, Sky Climb and Sky Fortress. They also stated that it would be open by Summer 2010. Prior to official launch, the ride Battle Sails was renamed to Battle Boats. On 18 September 2010, Castaway Bay officially opened to the public.
Battle Boats is a shipwreck-themed Splash Battle (water battle attraction) where riders board one of eight boats which move around a track. Riders must shoot at the other boats and can receive fire from up to 80 other water guns located around the course. The ride is an ideal family attraction despite the restriction that guests under 120 centimetres (3 ft 11 in) must be accompanied by an adult who is 14 years or older. The ride is a Splash Battle, an interactive boat ride manufactured by Mack Rides.
Sky Climb is an up-charge attraction where guests can navigate through a high ropes course 12 metres (39 ft) above the ground which features unstable rope bridges and obstacles. Participating guests must be at least 120 centimetres (3 ft 11 in) tall and weigh less than 130 kilograms (290 lb). Any guests under 140 centimetres (4 ft 7 in) must be accompanied by an adult who is 14 years or older. The attraction is a Sky Trail® Ropes Course manufactured by Prime Interactives.
Sky Fortress is a 5-storey adventure playground featuring a variety of rope bridges and tunnels. All guests who weigh less than 130 kilograms (290 lb) can participate in this attraction. The attraction is an Adventure Trail manufactured by Prime Interactives.
- Ardern, Lucy; Westthorp, Tanya (30 December 2009). "Gold Coast theme parks in ride war". Gold Coast Bulletin. Retrieved 12 September 2010.
- "Gold Coast Bulletin Promotional Cover". Parkz. 26 June 2010. Retrieved 12 September 2010.
- National Nine News (17 September 2010). "Theme park battle heats up". Video. Ninemsn. Retrieved 18 September 2010.
- "Mack Rides GmbH & Co KG - Interactive Boat Rides". Mack Rides. Retrieved 29 September 2010.
- "Sea World Gold Coast". Prime Interactives. Retrieved 2 February 2014.
- "Castaway Bay - Sea World". Sculpt Studios. Retrieved 2 February 2014.
- "New attractions for Coast theme parks". Gold Coast Bulletin. 14 July 2010. Retrieved 12 September 2010.
- Sea World. "Castaway Bay comes alive at Sea World". MyFun. Retrieved 12 September 2010.
- Sea World. "Castaway Bay". MyFun. Retrieved 18 September 2010.