Battle Island State Park
|Battle Island State Park|
|Location||2150 State Route 48
Fulton, New York
|Nearest city||Fulton, New York|
|Area||235 acres (0.95 km2)|
|Operated by||New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation|
|Visitors||29,291 (in 2014)|
|Website||Battle Island State Park|
Battle Island State Park is a 235-acre (0.95 km2) state park located on the Oswego River in Oswego County, New York. Included within the park is the 18-hole Battle Island State Park Golf Course. The park is located on the west bank of the river, north of the City of Fulton, along New York State Highway 48.
Battle Island State Park's name refers to a battle that took place on a nearby island on July 3, 1756, during the French and Indian War. The battle commenced after a British fleet, returning from delivering supplies to Fort Ontario, was ambushed by a party of French and Indians. Although outnumbered, British and Colonial forces were able repulse several attacks by using the island as a stronghold. The island identified on maps as "Battle Island" was created during the excavation of an adjacent canal; the battle actually took place on a smaller island just to the south.
Battle Island State Park occupies land originally owned by Frederick A. Emerick, who deeded 200 acres (0.81 km2) of the park's property to the state in 1916. When the remainder of his property was turned over to the state in 1938, the land was officially designated as a state park.
The park also offers trails for cross-country skiing and a food concession.
- NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation. "Battle Island State Park - Getting There". Nysparks.com. Retrieved June 10, 2015.
- "Section O: Environmental Conservation and Recreation". 2014 New York State Statistical Yearbook. The Nelson A. Rockefeller Institute of Government. 2014. Table O-9. Retrieved January 31, 2016.
- "State Park Annual Attendance Figures by Facility: Beginning 2003". Data.ny.gov. Retrieved June 10, 2015.
- Emerick, Frederick A. (1917). "Battle Island Park". Scenic and Historic America, Volumes 1-2. American Scenic and Historic Preservation Society. pp. 65–68. Retrieved June 10, 2015.
- "The Oswego River (Fulton/Battle Island) - June 9th, 1994". New York State Museum. Retrieved June 10, 2015.
- NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation. "Battle Island State Park". Nysparks.com. Retrieved June 10, 2015.
- NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation. "Battle Island State Park Golf Course - Course Information". Nysparks.com. Retrieved June 10, 2015.
- "Battle Island State Park Golf Course - Fulton, New York Golf Course Directory". GolfNow.com. The Golf Channel. Retrieved June 10, 2015.
- New York State Parks: Battle Island State Park
- New York State Parks: Battle Island State Park Golf Course