Battle of Iznalloz
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: header levels and citation style. (March 2013)|
|Battle of Iznalloz|
|Part of the Spanish Reconquista|
Location of the town of Iznalloz within the Province of Granada, Spain.
| Kingdom of Castile
Order of Calatrava
|Emirate of Granada|
|Commanders and leaders|
| Sancho IV of Castile
Ruy Pérez Ponce de León
|Casualties and losses|
Part of a series on the
|History of Spain|
The Battle of Iznalloz, was a battle of the Spanish Reconquista fought in the Province of Granada near the city of Iznalloz, north of the city of Granada in 1295. The battle pitted the troops of the Emirate of Granada, commanded by Muhammad II the Sultan of Granada against those of the Kingdom of Castile who were commanded by the Grand Master of the Order of Calatrava, Ruy Pérez Ponce de León on behalf of Sancho IV of Castile. The battle resulted in a catastrophic defeat for Castile and the Order of Calatrava, whose Grand Master died of wounds suffered in the battle.
With the Marinid surrender of Algeciras and Ronda to the Kingdom of Granada, Granada was able to pursue policies of territorial expansion safe in the knowledge that James II of Aragon would not be adverse to any action by Granada against the Kingdom of Castile as the two kingdoms were themselves at odds.
In a bid to secure his northern frontier, Muhammad II seized a hill fort at Quesada and routed the forces of the Castilian crown under Ruy Pérez Ponce de León at Iznalloz in the final months of 1295. The Castilian army retired to its camp where Ponce de Leon, the contemporary Grand Master of the Order of Calatrava would die of wounds inflicted in the action.
The victory of Muhammad II over the Castilian forces facilitated way for an eventual pact of friendship between the Kingdom of Granada and the Kingdom of Aragon which had its own problems with Castile.
- O'Callaghan, Joseph (2011). The Gibraltar Crusade: Castile and the Battle for the Strait. Philadelphia, PN: University of Pennsylvania Press. pp. 113–14. ISBN 9780812204636.
- nuevoportal.com. "La Orden de Calatrava". Retrieved 15 July 2012.
- O'Callaghan, Joseph (2011). The Gibraltar Crusade: Castile and the Battle for the Strait. Philadelphia, PN: University of Pennsylvania Press. ISBN 9780812204636.
- Carriazo Rubio, Juan Luis (2002). La Memoria del Linaje: Los Ponce de León y Sus Antepasados a Fines de la Edad Media (in Spanish). Seville: Universidad de Sevilla, Secretariado de Publicaciones. ISBN 84-472-0723-4. ISBN 9788447207237.
- Arévalo, Rodrigo Sánchez de (1470). Compendiosa historia Hispanica (in Spanish and Latin). Spain: Vdalricus Gallus, Ulrich Han. 372 pages.
|This article about a battle in Spanish history is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about Al-Andalus is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|