Battle of Maciejowice
|Battle of Maciejowice|
|Part of the Kościuszko Uprising|
|Commanders and leaders|
|Tadeusz Kościuszko||Alexander Suvorov|
|Casualties and losses|
The Poles were led by Tadeusz Kościuszko. Kościuszko with 6,200 men, who planned to prevent the linking of two larger Russian armies, those of Iwan Fersen and Alexander Suvorov. He requested the support of Adam Poniński (who had 4,000 soldiers), but Poniński failed to arrive on the battlefield in time.:205
Kosciuszko had spent the night in the abandoned manor home of the Zamoyskis with his army in the field in front flanked by woods, with a river behind the house.:206 Fersen attacked the next morning, when the Poles burned the village on their left flank to prevent it being used as cover.:207 Initially, the Russian advance was slowed by the mud but after three hours, the Poles ran out of ammunition for their cannons.:207 The Russian infantry then made a bayonet charge and slaughtered the Poles for the next three hours.:208
After having three horses shot out from underneath him, Kosciuszko finally tried leaving the battlefield, but his horse tripped.:208 A Cossack stabbed him with a pike from behind, followed by a second Cossack who stabbed him in the left hip.:208 Attempting to take his own life, Kosciuszko found his pistol empty, and then passed out in the mud.:208 He was stripped by the Cossacks and later taken prisoner.:208
The Battle of Maciejowice is commemorated on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, Warsaw, with the inscription "MACIEJOWICE 10 X 1794”.
- Storozynski, A., 2009, The Peasant Prince, New York: St. Martin's Press, ISBN 9780312388027
- 10.10.1794. Battle of Maciejowice, Fersen's Corps OOB
- Соловьев С.М. История падения Польши». — Москва, 1863.
- Рапорт А. В. Суворова П. А. Румянцеву, 3 октября 1794 г., № 433 (РГВИА. ф. ВУА, д. № 2731. ч. I. л. 188).
- Донесение Ф.П. Денисова А. В. Суворову, 30 сентября 1794 г. (РГВИА, ф. ВУА. д. № 2731, ч. I. лл. 180 — 182).
- Рапорт генерал-поручика И. Е. Ферзена А. В. Суворову, 12 октября 1794 г. о сражении при Мацеевицах.