Battle of Peiwar Kotal
The Battle of Peiwar Kotal was fought on 28–29 November 1878 between British forces under Sir Frederick Roberts and Afghan forces under Karim Khan, during the opening stages of the Second Anglo-Afghan War. The British were victorious, and seized the strategic Peiwar Kotal Pass leading into Afghanistan.
Order of battle
- 12th Bengal Cavalry
- 5th Punjab Cavalry
- 21st Bengal Native Infantry (Punjabis)
- 23rd Bengal Native Infantry (Punjab Pioneers)
- 29th Bengal Native Infantry (Punjabis)
- 2nd Punjab Infantry, Punjab Frontier Force
- 5th Punjab Infantry, Punjab Frontier Force (Vaughan’s Rifles)
- 5th Gurkha Rifles
- 21st (Kohat) Mountain Battery (Frontier Force)
- 22nd (Derajat) Mountain Battery (Frontier Force)
- Richards, D.S. (1990). The Savage Frontier, A History of the Anglo-Afghan Wars. London: Pan MacMillan. ISBN 0-330-42052-6.
- Robson, Brian (2007). The Road to Kabul: The Second Afghan War 1878-1881. Stroud: Spellmount. ISBN 978-1-86227-416-7.
|This article about a battle in British history is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|