Battlestar Galactica Online
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Battlestar Galactica Online|
|Release date(s)||(Beta test: February 8, 2011)|
Battlestar Galactica Online is a browser-based massively multiplayer online game (MMO) loosely based on the 2004 television series Battlestar Galactica. Released in open beta on February 8, 2011, it was developed by Bigpoint Games and Artplant using the Unity game engine for the game client in the browser. The game server is written in Erlang. In less than three months of release, the game surpassed two million registered users.
Battlestar Galactica Online is a flight combat game set in space in which player takes the role of a pilot in the Battlestar Galactica universe. There are also stationary game features such as Outposts and Platforms which can be targeted. There is no way to win the game. Players achieve success through the leaderboard, individual victories and 'leveling up'. A player can select either the Colonial (human) or Cylon side upon registration after which the player is locked into that side. After this a player plays through a standard tutorial, during which the plot of the game is shown. After completing the tutorial a player can enter 'Battlespace' in which other players are operating. Ships are arranged into four main types: Interceptor, Assault, Command, and Multi-role. These are then subdivided into three classes: Strikes, Escorts, and Lines. A fourth class, Capital Ships, also exists and consists of Carriers and Stars.
- Nutt, Christian (March 9, 2010). "GDC: Bigpoint Announces Battlestar MMO, Unity Partnership, San Francisco Office". Gamasutra. Retrieved October 5, 2013.
- Clarke, Gavin (February 5, 2011). "Battlestar Galactica vets needed for online roleplay". The Register. Retrieved October 5, 2013.
- Battlestar Galactica Online surpasses 2 million players, Joystiq, May 26, 2011
- You can pilot a Battlestar in Battlestar Galactica Online right now! PC Gamer April 14, 2011
- Battlestar Galactica Online passes one million player milestone Massively April 15, 2011