Bauer College of Business
|University of Houston|
|Dean||Dr. Latha Ramchand|
|Location||Houston, Texas (USA)|
The C.T. Bauer College of Business is the business school of the University of Houston, and is fully accredited by the AACSB International. It offers B.B.A., M.B.A., MS Accountancy, MS Finance, and the Houston metropolitan area's only Ph.D. program in business administration.
The College of Business Administration was founded in 1942 as the business school of the University of Houston.
On July 12, 2000, businessman Ted Bauer, a Harvard University alumni 1942, announced a $40 million donation to the University of Houston's College of Business Administration. In recognition of his generosity, the college was renamed the C.T. Bauer College of Business.
The Bauer College is located on the campus of the University of Houston and has been housed in Melcher Hall since 1986. Melcher Hall is named after Leroy Melcher—an alumnus of the University of Houston and successful businessman—who donated $3 million to the business school.
The school has students from many countries around the world and is considered one of the most diverse schools in the US.
The Bauer College broke ground on June 5, 2008 for the Michael J. Cemo Hall. The hall is named after Michael J. Cemo—a University of Houston alumnus and former president and CEO of AIM Distributors—who donated $3 million to the college. It opened in 2010.
The College has five academic departments: Accountancy and Taxation, Decision and Information Sciences, Marketing and Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Management. The student to teacher ratio is 3 to 1.
The college offers a BBA with concentrations in accounting, management information systems, supply chain management, finance, management, marketing, and entrepreneurship. It offers minors in risk management and insurance, global energy management, accounting, finance, management, management information systems, marketing, sales, and international area studies. It offers an MBA, executive MBA program, evening MBA, MS in Accountancy, and an MS in Finance. It also offers certificates in Energy Risk Management, Energy Finance, Energy Investment Analysis, Economics of the Energy, Value Chain, Financial Services Management, Intrapreneurship, Sales Leadership, and Certificate of Accountancy. The college also directs several study abroad programs. Numerous student organizations operate at the college.
The AIM Center
The AIM Center for Investment Management is a business center at Bauer that teaches undergraduate and graduate business students about corporate finance, accounting, information technology, marketing and other disciplines. The center features a laboratory, a conference room with video conferencing capabilities, a classroom, and a lobby with news video and a stock ticker. It is a $5 million facility which opened on February 20, 2002. The center was recognized as one of the best designed business school classrooms in the United States by American School and University magazine.
The AIM Center houses the C. T. Bauer College of Business Cougar Investment Fund, L.L.C. The Cougar Fund is a private investment company run by graduate students, which manages real investors and real money. It began with an initial investment of $1.9 million and has regularly outperformed its benchmark on the S&P 500 Index. It currently manages over $9 million in assets. The Cougar Fund is rated third student stock analysis team in the world and number one, as of 2008, in the United States.
Global Energy Management Institute
GEMI offers undergraduate and graduate level programs in the energy sector. It opened in the fall of 2002. It offers certificate degrees in energy risk management, energy international project finance and energy accounting. It is a very specialized program that focuses specifically on the energy industry, one of Houston's main industries. The program has earned praise from Business Week.
Sales Excellence Institute
Launched in 2004, the Sales Excellence Institute is built on three pillars: education, research and partnership. Part of the Department of Marketing and Entrepreneurship, SEI offers undergraduate and Masters of Business Administration certificates, hosts a post-graduate program in sales and marketing and offers executive education to global corporations. Its undergraduate certificate program – The Program for Excellence in Selling – has been in existence since 1996 and offers over 180 hours of live sales training. The program has over 1,100 alumni.
SEI’s research provides current sales techniques, methods and theories to corporate executives, sales management and entire sales forces. SEI Executive Director Michael Ahearne has served as editor-in-chief of the Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management.
Working closely with strategically partnering corporations, SEI designs and delivers custom programs and services based on in-depth research in order to achieve their respective strategic business objectives. SEI regularly hosts conferences to provide and exchange with sales and sales management practitioners its most cutting-edge research findings. It is host to the annual Selling and Sales Management Conference.
Rankings and Awards
Bauer has been ranked among the top business schools in the US and is considered among the top 60 worldwide. It has been ranked the best entrepreneurship program in the United States by both the Princeton Review and BusinessWeek.
Full-time MBA program ranked 94th in the nation among 437 schools of business. (U.S. News & World Report 2011)
The evening MBA program is ranked 27th nationally, 4th regionally, and 1st in Houston (BusinessWeek 2007)
The Cougar Fund is ranked the #1 student stock analysis team in the United States and #3 in the world.
Ranked in the top 50 among public undergraduate business schools (BusinessWeek 2007)
Ranked 52nd among all undergraduate business schools (BusinessWeek 2010)
Ranked 1st among the top undergraduate entrepreneurship programs (Princeton Review, BusinessWeek Magazine, and Entrepreneur Magazine 2008)
Ranked 40th among public undergraduate business schools (U.S. News & World Report 2008)
Top Undergraduate Business Program in Houston
Top Undergraduate Sales Program in the U.S. (largest enrollment and most extensive curriculum)
MBA Program is ranked 5th among public universities for producing CEOs of S&P 500 companies
EMBA Program is ranked 17th in the U.S. among public EMBA programs (2004 Financial Times)
EMBA Program is ranked 76th in the World (2006 Financial Times)
Finance faculty is ranked 8th in the country by the Academic Analytics’ Faculty Scholarly Productivity (FSP) Index
This is a partial list of notable alumni of Bauer College of Business. Names on this list should either have an accompanying existing article link which verifies they are an alumnus, or reliable sources as footnotes against the name showing they are a notable alumnus.
- Carol Alvarado (MBA, 2008), Texas State Representative, Former Houston City Councilwoman
- John R. Beard (MBA, 1988), Former President, Lyondell Chemical Europe
- Rick Bowen (BBA, 1988, MBA 1991), President, Alcoa Energy
- Downey Bridgwater (BBA, 1984), Chairman and CEO, Sterling Bancshares
- Bruce Broussard (MBA, 1989), President and CEO, Humana
- Phung NGO-Burns (MBA), Vice President and CFO, ExpressJet
- David Callender (MBA, 1995), President, University of Texas Medical Branch
- Stephen Chazen (MS, ), President and CEO, Occidental Petroleum
- G. Edward Clark (MBA, 1979), President and CEO, FedEx Trade Networks
- Andrew J. Cozby (MBA), CFO, Memorial Production Partners LP (NASDAQ)
- Julie M. Cripe (MBA, 1987), President and CEO, Omni Bank
- Derrik Deyhimi (MBA, 1991), President and CEO, Iconixx Corporation
- Samuel DiPiazza (MSAcy, 1973), Chairman and Global CEO, PricewaterhouseCoopers
- Stephen J. Felice (MBA), President and Chief Commercial Officer, Dell
- Milton M. Frankfort (BBA, 1967), Founder & Chairman, UHY Advisors
- William J. Gedwed (MBA, 1992), Former Chairman and CEO, HealthMarkets
- Ronald C. Green (MBA, 2008), City Controller, City of Houston
- C. Greg Harper (MBA, 1997), President, CenterPoint Energy Pipelines and Field Services
- Karl D. Harrison (BBA, 1996), Former President, Rubbermaid
- Charles M. Holley, Jr. (MBA), Executive Vice President and CFO, Wal-Mart
- James C. Houck (MBA, 1972), President and CEO, Western Oil Sands
- James G. Ivey (MBA), Former CFO, MarkWest Energy
- Karen Katz (MBA, 1982), President and CEO, Neiman Marcus
- Louis B. Katopodis (BBA, 1971), President and CEO, Fiesta Mart
- Fran Keeth (BBA, MSAcy, JD), Former Executive VP, Shell Chemical, LP
- Elizabeth Killinger (BBA, 1991), President Reliant Energy, 
- Donita R. Koval (BBA 1981, MBA 1983), President and CEO, Omega Bank
- Rich Kruger (MBA ), Vice President, President, Exxon Mobil, Exxon Mobil Production Company
- Kenneth Lay (PhD, Economics 1970), Former CEO, Enron
- Aylwin Lewis (MBA, 1990), President and CEO, Potbelly Sandwich Works, Former President and CEO, Sears Holdings Corporation,
- S. Todd Maclin (MBA), CEO of Commercial Banking, JPMorgan Chase & Co.
- David McClanahan (MBA, 1976), President and CEO, CenterPoint Energy
- Gerald W. McElvy (BBA, 1975), President, Exxonmobil Foundation (retired 2010)
- Joseph A. Mills (MBA, 1992), Chairman and CEO, Eagle Rock Energy Partners
- Mark Mize (BBA), Executive Vice President and CFO, Halcón Resources Corporation, Former Executive Vice President and CFO, Petrohawk
- Jack B. Moore (BBA, 1977), President and CEO, Cameron (company)
- John Moores (BS, JD), founder, Peregrine Systems; co-founder, BMC Software; owner, San Diego Padres
- Marvin Odum (MBA, 1995), President, Shell Oil Company
- Mark Papa (MBA, 1980), Chairman and CEO, EOG Resources
- Richard Rawson (BBA, 1972), President, Insperity
- Zamir Rauf (BBA, MBA), Executive Vice President and CFO, Calpine
- Howard Schramm (MBA, 1978), Executive Vice President and CFO, St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital
- Lane Sloan (MSAcy 1979, MBA 1983), Former CFO, Shell Oil Company, Former President and CEO, Shell Chemical Company
- Dennis M. Steen (BBA, 1981), CFO, Camden Property Trust
- Steve D. Stephens (BBA, 1980), President, Amegy Bank
- John Stubblefield (BBA, 1970), Former CFO, Sysco Corporation
- Bruce Vincent (MBA, 1976), President, Swift Energy Company, Chairman, Independent Petroleum Association of America
- Kenneth R. Trammell (BBA, 1984), Executive Vice President and CFO, Tenneco
- Jack Valenti, (BBA, 1946), Former Chairman and CEO, Motion Picture Association
- Robert Waltrip (BBA, 1954), Chairman and Former CEO, Service Corporation International
- Dongjin Wang (MBA, 2009), Corporate Vice President, China National Petroleum Corporation
- Andre Ware (BBA, 1989), 1989 Winner of the Heisman Trophy, Quarterback Detroit Lions (1990–1993)
- Tim Welbes (BBA, 1969), Co-President, The Woodlands Development Company
- Kathryn Whitmire (BBA 1968, MSAcy 1970), Former Mayor, Houston, TX
- David A. Williams (MBA, 1992), President and CEO, Make-A-Wish Foundation
- Bruce Williamson (MBA, 1995), Chairman, CEO, and President, Dynegy
- Robert A. Wilson (MBA, 2008), President and CEO, GDF Suez Energy Resources NA
- Welcome W. Wilson, Sr.(BBA, 1949), Chairman, GSL Welcome Group
- Mariette M. Woestemeyer (BBA, 1976, MBA 1977), Co-Founder, PROS Holdings, Inc.
- Ron Woestemeyer (BBA, 1968), Co-Founder, PROS Holdings, Inc.
- Melvyn Wolff (BBA, 1953), Chairman, Star Furniture Co.
- BusinessWeek: Bauer College of Business Facts
- "UH Through Time: People (Close Up)". Info.lib.uh.edu. Retrieved 2010-07-20.
- , http://www.cba.uh.edu/centers/acim/our-story.asp
- Princeton Review
- "UHGEMI". Bauer.uh.edu. Retrieved 2010-07-20.
- "SEI Home Page". University of Houston. bauer.uh.edu. Retrieved 24 May 2011.
- "Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management". Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management. JPSSM.org.
- "World Wide Rankings - UTD Top 100 Business School Research Rankings - School of Management @ UT Dallas". Somweb.utdallas.edu. 2010-02-25. Archived from the original on 24 July 2010. Retrieved 2010-07-20.
-  Archived February 8, 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- "Business School Rankings and Profiles: EMBA, Executive Education, MBA, Part-time MBA, Distance MBA". Businessweek.com. Archived from the original on 23 July 2010. Retrieved 2010-07-20.
- University of Houston Departments and Programs at DMOZ
- Bauer College of Business
- Bauer Alumni Website