Sundial St. Pete
|Sundial St. Pete|
|Address||153 2nd Avenue North|
|Town or city||St. Petersburg, Florida|
|Current tenants||Muvico Sundial 19 + IMAX, Diamonds Direct Fine Jewelers, Tracy Negoshian & His, Juxtapose Apparel & Studio, Chico's, White House | Black Market, lululemon showroom, Marilyn Monroe Spas Glamour Room|
|Inaugurated||November 17, 2000|
|Renovated||May 8, 2012|
|Floor area||73,000 sq ft (6,800 m2) + 80,000 sq ft (7,400 m2)|
|Parking||7-Story Parking Garage|
Sundial St. Pete, formerly known as The Shops at St. Pete, and BayWalk, is a shopping, dining and entertainment complex in downtown St. Petersburg, Florida. It opened on May 2014 with a mixture of restaurants, markets, nightlife, and shopping. As of April 2015, businesses include Locale Market, Lululemon, White House Black Market, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Sea Salt restaurant and Jackie Z Style Co.
Originally opened with the name of BayWalk in the fall of 2000, the area included 73,000 square feet (6,800 m2) of retail space plus an 80,000-square-foot (7,400 m2) movie theater owned by Muvico Theaters. The two-story, open-air shopping center featured a mix of Florida contemporary and traditional Mediterranean architectural styles with stucco-faced buildings and wrought iron touches. Economic problems resulted in high vacancy rates.
St. Petersburg businessman Bill Edwards bought the complex for $5.2 million in September 2011, and announced plans to revitalize the complex. It has since undergone extensive renovations and two name changes. Edwards dubbed the new project "The Shops at St Pete". On February 19, 2014, the complex was publicly renamed Sundial St. Pete.
The renovated courtyard at Sundial St. Pete features a nearly two-story sundial sculpture, designed by renowned production designer René Lagler and crafted by Thomas Sign & Awning Co. in Pinellas County. Surrounding the sundial is a mosaic lagoon water feature. Six bronze dolphins are depicted playing in and around the feature. The dolphin sculptures were designed and crafted by St. Petersburg master sculptor Mark Aeling and his team at MGA Sculpture Studio.
The Locale market includes a gourmet grocer, wine bar, and restaurant. It is a partnership between celebrity chefs Michael Mina of San Francisco, California and Don Pintabona, who is a returnee to the Tampa Bay region. He completed an undergraduate degree at the University of South Florida in Tampa and began his chef career working at a restaurant on Busch Boulevard in Tampa.
Sea Salt restaurant is an upscale seafood and steak restaurant.
- Channelside, shopping and entertainment complex similar to Baywalk. Located across the bay in Downtown Tampa.
- International Plaza and Bay Street, mall and nightlife district in the Westshore district of Tampa.
- Kritzer, Ashley (April 15, 2015). "Downtown St. Pete's Sundial close to signing two more tenants". Tampa Bay Business Journal. Retrieved 2016-07-04.
- Smith, Katherine; Reiley, Laura (June 5, 2014). "Culinary superstars opening market in St. Petersburg's Sundial". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved 2016-07-04.
- Smith, Katherine; Sickler, Michael (September 21, 2011). "Sale of BayWalk to developer Bill Edwards goes through". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved 2016-07-04.
- Smith, Katherine (August 13, 2012). "BayWalk's new name: Shops at St. Pete". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved 2016-07-04.
- Smith, Katherine (February 19, 2014). "Once BayWalk, then Shops at St. Pete, it's now Sundial". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved 2016-07-04.
- Reiley, Laura (February 2, 2015). "Upscale restaurant Sea Salt now open in downtown St. Petersburg's Sundial". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved 2016-07-04.