Bay Head station
Bay Head station in January 2018
Bay Head, NJ 08742
|Owned by||NJ Transit|
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Passengers (2012)||200 (average weekday)|
Bay Head is a railway station in Bay Head, in Ocean County, New Jersey, United States. The station is served by trains on NJ Transit's North Jersey Coast Line, and it is the southern terminus for the line. The rail yard contains 33 acres (13 ha) of wetland inside the loop formed by the tracks used to turn around the trains. The rail yard borders Twilight Lake. Parking is free at the Bay Head station although the lot is only about a fourth of the size of the lot at the next station, Point Pleasant Beach, which requires payment.
This station is not listed as disabled accessible by NJ Transit. Passengers must use the train stairs to climb up to the cars or descend to street level. There is no ramp or platform to aid the handicapped in boarding. Weekend ridership to the Bay Head station rises during the summer as beachgoing vacationers take the train to the beach. In May 2011, ticket vending machines were installed next to the station building at Bay Head.
The station has a low-level side platform serving trains in both directions.
|Track 1||← No passenger service →|
|Track 2||← North Jersey Coast Line termination track|
North Jersey Coast Line toward Long Branch, Hoboken or New York (Point Pleasant Beach) →
|Side platform, doors will open on the left or right|
|Street level||Station building, ticket machine and parking|
- "Then and Now". The Asbury Park Press. January 21, 1979. p. 60. Retrieved September 26, 2017 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Quarterly Ridership Trends Analysis" (PDF). NJ Transit. December 27, 2012. Archived from the original (PDF) on December 27, 2012. Retrieved December 27, 2012.
- Bay Head planning to fight state's rail yard plan in court. Asbury Park Press. Nina Rizzo. June 25, 2002.
- Ordinance will set train station parking fees. Asbury Park Press. Tristan J. Schweiger. April 15, 2007.
- 'Benny' or not, here they come, Natives grin and share the weekly trip to Shore. Ana M. Alaya. The Star-Ledger. July 1, 2005.
Media related to Bay Head (NJT station) at Wikimedia Commons