Bay Park, New York
Bay Park, New York
|County||Nassau County, New York|
|• Total||0.6 sq mi (1.4 km2)|
|• Land||0.4 sq mi (1.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||10 ft (3 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0943183|
The Bay Park Property Owner's Association was established by residents in 1926.
The Bay Park Sewage Treatment Plant, which is located in the hamlet and is operated by the County of Nassau as part of the Nassau County Sewage District, failed during and as a result of Hurricane Sandy in 2012. Subsequently it would receive repairs and upgrades – notably in the early 2020s. The upgrades to the sewage plant will assist in cutting the nitrogen levels in the waters along that part of Long Island's South Shore.
This article needs to be updated.(April 2013)
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,300 people, 874 households, and 636 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 5,305.4 per square mile (2,065.2/km2). There were 892 housing units at an average density of 2,057.6/sq mi (800.9/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 96.48% White, 0.35% African American, 0.04% Native American, 0.96% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.87% from other races, and 1.26% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.22% of the population.
There were 874 households, out of which 31.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.4% were married couples living together, 10.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.2% were non-families. 21.1% of all households were made up of individuals, and 9.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.63 and the average family size was 3.10.
In the CDP, the population was spread out, with 21.7% under the age of 18, 6.9% from 18 to 24, 31.7% from 25 to 44, 26.2% from 45 to 64, and 13.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females, there were 96.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.7 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $64,063, and the median income for a family was $64,950. Males had a median income of $48,125 versus $36,755 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $25,888. About 2.2% of families and 2.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.9% of those under age 18 and 2.8% of those age 65 or over.
Parks and recreation
- Bay Park – A Nassau County-owned park within the hamlet.
- Winsche, Richard (October 1, 1999). The History of Nassau County Community Place-Names. Interlaken, New York: Empire State Books. pp. 16–17. ISBN 978-1557871541.
- "Bay Park Sewage Treatment Plant Gets Long-Awaited Fix After Flooding Homes, Polluting Water Since Failing During Superstorm Sandy". 2020-10-05. Retrieved 2021-07-01.
- "Plant upgrade cuts nitrogen in South Shore waters, officials say". Newsday. Retrieved 2021-07-01.
- "Cuomo breaks ground on $439M project to redirect treated sewage". Newsday. Retrieved 2021-07-01.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.