Bay Pines, Florida
|Bay Pines, Florida|
Location in Pinellas County, Florida
|• Total||2.3 sq mi (5.8 km2)|
|• Land||1.4 sq mi (3.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.9 sq mi (2.2 km2)|
|Elevation||10 ft (3 m)|
|• Density||1,300/sq mi (510/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0278218|
Bay Pines is a census-designated place (CDP) in Pinellas County, Florida, United States. The population was 2,931 at the 2010 census. The community is home to Bay Pines Veterans Hospital and Bay Pines National Cemetery.
The Bay Pines Veterans Administration Home and Hospital Historic District is a U.S. historic district located at 10000 Bay Pines Blvd. in Bay Pines, Florida. The district contains prehistoric aboriginal sites, and 14 Mediterranean Revival style hospital buildings constructed from the 1930s.
It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on June 27, 2012.
Bay Pines is located at (27.819235, -82.776658).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 5.8 km² (2.2 mi²), of which 3.6 km² (1.4 mi²) is land and 2.2 km² (0.9 mi²) (38.22%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,065 people, 1,465 households, and 879 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 851.4/km² (2,198.9/mi²). There were 1,728 housing units at an average density of 480.0/km² (1,239.7/mi²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 97.91% White, 0.23% African American, 0.20% Native American, 0.46% Asian, 0.46% from other races, and 0.75% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.35% of the population.
There were 1,465 households out of which 17.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.0% were married couples living together, 6.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 40.0% were non-families. 33.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 19.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.09 and the average family size was 2.66.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 15.8% under the age of 18, 4.3% from 18 to 24, 22.5% from 25 to 44, 26.0% from 45 to 64, and 31.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 50 years. For every 100 females there were 91.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.6 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $32,456, and the median income for a family was $38,412. Males had a median income of $31,447 versus $24,886 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $20,041. About 1.2% of families and 3.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.0% of those under age 18 and 4.4% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Bay Pines CDP, Florida". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved May 9, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "CENSUS OF POPULATION AND HOUSING (1790-2000)". U.S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on July 8, 2010. Retrieved 2010-07-17.