Bay Shore, Michigan
|Bay Shore, Michigan|
The sign for Bay Shore on US 31
|• Total||1.6 sq mi (4.2 km2)|
|• Land||1.6 sq mi (4.2 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||669 ft (207 m)|
|• Density||466/sq mi (180.0/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1618887|
Bay Shore is an unincorporated community and census-designated place located on the boundary between Charlevoix and Emmet counties in the U.S. state of Michigan. As of the 2010 census it had a population of 754.
Bay Shore is situated on a ridge overlooking Little Traverse Bay on Lake Michigan. US 31 passes through the community, connecting with US 131 at Petoskey 7 miles (11 km) to the east and with M-66 at Charlevoix 10 miles (16 km) to the west. Boyne City is 12 miles (19 km) to the south by county roads.
Bay Shore is primarily within Hayes Township in Charlevoix County and extends partially into Resort Township in Emmet County. The Bay Shore post office, with ZIP code 49711, provides P.O. box service.
The land was owned by Eugene R. Sly and Nancy Stauffer. A portion to the north was known as Bayside, but came to be known as Bay Shore. It was a station on the Chicago and West Michigan Railway (later part of the Pere Marquette Railway) by 1892. A post office was established on July 15, 1892, which operated until September 30, 1964. It was surveyed and platted in 1896.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Bay Shore, Michigan
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Bay Shore CDP, Michigan". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved September 4, 2014.
- ZIP Code Lookup, U.S. Postal Service
- Romig, Walter (1986) . Michigan Place Names. Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1838-X.